Thread: What do you do about new beds?

What do you do about new beds?

Hi all,
    I'm T2 complete, 8 months post, and I would like your advice on what to do when you stay away from home. I mean, what if it's an "ordinary" bed? I gather there are covers you can buy to put on these? Can anyone advise?
    At home, I sleep on an electric bed, with a special foam mattress. I can go six hours in one position without problems.
    I'm hoping to be able to travel in the future, but I'm really worried the beds might harm my skin.
    Help please!

Keps.

Hey Keps...

I'm mike and I'm at a t-10 incomplete. I travel all the time and I sleep on all kinds of beds, couches, and air mattress's when I go camping.. I have been known to sleep in one position up to around 14 hours or so. I have yet to have any skin problems or anything in that nature.. I guess the trick would to turn from side to side or lay on your stomach for awhile. I hope some of this might help..
    mikes

Hi keps,
    I am T4 and sleep on an ordinary bed at home (with a sheepskin underlay). I have done so since leaving rehab 4 years ago and no problems even though I too often don't change position during the night. I always make sure to check my skin before I go to sleep and first thing in the morning. Either I am lucky with the type of skin I have or being vigilant is keeping problems at bay. I have also travelled a bit and slept in a lot of different 'ordinary beds' without any worry. The sheepskin I got was from Westons which is a UK online medical supplies company; I get quite a lot of stuff from them.

Keps, When I travel, I take a gel pad with me thats about 2 feet by 2 feet and place it under my hip when I´m sleeping on my side. I also have a cubed, foam mattress at home and I am also pretty sensative. No problems. This topic has come up in the past and KLD has also posted information regarding alternative methods to protect yourself Try a search or two.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

If you have very sensitive skin, or cannot turn, then I often recommend that you consider an air-filled overlay for travel. One that is pretty easy to use is the Gaymar Soft-Care (much cheaper and less bulky than a Roho bed cushion). You can use it with or without the Companion pump. They can be blown up with a bike pump:

http://www.gaymar.com/imagelist.asp?id=104&pid=19

Some people use a foam overlay, which will take up more space, but may not be an issue if you are traveling by car or van. If you use this, don't use a blue foam "eggcrate" which is worthless for anything but comfort. It would require a good quality 4" foam overlay such as the Biogard AFT or GeoMatt.

Sheepskin will reduce shear and friction, but does little to reduce pressure.

(KLD)

Keps,
    I'm a T10-12(12 yrs post injury) and I travel a good bit my self. At home I sleep on a hospital bed with a geomatt overlay, and I rarely change positions in bed also, I can sleep 8 hrs plus on my back with no problems. I also have one of the 2'x2' gell pads that I take when I'm on the road, and it helps a lot. I also carry a special pillow that goes under my knees to lift and bend them at the same time, but you can do the same thing with a neck roll pillow. I alway request extra pillows so I can elevate my feet to relieve any swelling, which I almost always have,lol. The good news is that most of the hotels/motels today have good mattresses to begin with, so you should have any problems as long as you're vigilant about doing your skin checks. I would suggest you check out the disability travel resources online for more information, the ones I have seen based in the UK are loaded with great resources and advice.

Linda H.

Thank you for all your replies - now I have some idea of what I should be looking at. Before, I really wasn't sure at all.
    Thanks again everyone,
    Keps.