Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Camping -- need advice

Going Camping -- need advice

I am going camping for the first time in August (camping thurs, fri, and sat nights). My hubby, 13-yr-old son, and I will be attending Montana StarWatch and camping here:

We've decided that it will be easier for me to camp onsite than try to stay in a hotel for a few reasons:
    *I can go laydown in the tent whenever I am tired.
    *I don't have to stay up all night observing with him if I don't want to.
    *Riding back and forth on a 12 mi/20mph gravel road twice a day would hurt more than just camping on site. I've called all the hotels in the area (three of them) and their is only one with a (yes, as in one) WC accessible room. I have learned from reading this site and others that WC access means different things to different locations.

Here's a map of the site:
    http://www.montana.edu/smasweb/images/HarleyParkMap.jpg
    http://www.montana.edu/smasweb/images/HPDetailMap.jpg

We hope to camp in the front section near the U-shaped trees. We are camping in a tent and, while there will be portapotties, I am not counting on having anything WC accessible.

I should probably add that I will have only had my chair for approximately a month when we take this little voyage and I have no idea waht to expect, or how to prepare. This is also be the first time I have went camping since the accident. I'm used to just throwing survival gear, some food and clothes in the truck and going.

Sadly, my biggest concern is figuring out how to go to the bathroom. After sitting or riding in a vehicle for long periods of time my ability to walk short distances is gone.

I have never known anyone to use one, but this has been suggested by others. Of course you would need to arrange some type of privacy screen and it may be a little precarious if your balance is not good:

Bumper Dumper

Many state and national parks and campgrounds in CA have accessible bathrooms or outhouses. Have you checked with this particular park management? It looks like a US Forestry Service Campground. Here is some information about their Lewis & Clark National Forest offices. Call them and see what they know about the "facilities".

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lewisclark/contact/

(KLD)

thanks!

i have emailed the organizer but I have not received a response yet. Privacy screen is right! I am concerned about balance on that tho

You could set up a walker to hold onto. It would be worth a try if you will have a car or trunk with a hitch.

(KLD)

Jadis,
    I also love camping, and I started back tent camping the summer following my injury in 93. I am curious as to what size tent you'll be using, when we went back out that first summer we had a 1 room cabin tent with a inverted "T" door. It was very easy to roll in and out of in my manual chair. I strongly reccomend a good air mattress, Coleman makes a great one. It comes as a set of 2 twin sized mattreses that can be zipped together to make a king size,or they came be stacked & snapped together to make a comfortable raised twin sized airbed. The set cost less than $40.00, and they also have a rechargeable pump that inflates and deflates them in just a couple of minutes. I bought mine at Walmart earlier this year, but I think you can buy them from Colemans website as well.
    About the potty situation, if you use a cabin tent you can get a camping potty and use it inside your tent. I've seen those at Walmart as well, they're not expensive, but they're not qiute as stable as the bumper dumper, they basicly work the same way, you'd need to have good balance to use either one.

I used to love watching the curious looks on peoples faces as we set up camp,(my DH was a AB back then)we even had one guy who after watching us set-up our site go the phone at the bath house and call his friend to tell him that if this woman could go camping in a w/c, he could too!

Linda H.

[This message was edited by Linda H. on 06-22-05 at 12:16 PM.]

I go camping all the time. (at least once per month). But being a guy, the bathroom thing is some what easer. To take a leak is a piece of cake and I would guess that it's the same for a women too. Either sit in your car or in your tent to void into a pop bottle. Here in Minnesota about 90% of all the campgrounds were 100% chair accessible. Every one of the state campgrounds are 100% WC accessible. (some, even the outhouses are chair friendly). I never been to a place weir I couldn't get to a toilet.
    Weir I go camping, I'm always on a lake. Their have been times where I can't get into the shower stalls at a campsite. (the door way is to small). That's the times I suck it up and head with a bar of sop and a bottle of shampoo down to the lake at 12:00 at night.
    One thing I bring with is a 12"x8"x2" thick garden knee pad. Most shower don't have a pad on the shower bench. this is a must for saving you from ripping up your butt.
    Other then that, Their is nothing I do different camping now that I did before my SCI.

Thanks for the excellent tips so far!

I did get a response from the SW organizers. They said they were checking on having a WC accessible porta pot there for me. I bought a female urinal today, so that will help with that aspect of it. Hubby said he will take it to the p.a.p and dump it for me.

We already have a _|_ opening on our tent, so that's not a problem.

Since you mentioned it, I think we have a queen-sized air mattress in storage.

There are no showers or anything like that, so I plan on taking wipes to keep myself clean. This is the first time I have been in this situation. Usually, I just jump in the river and bathe myself.

Hey,another Humanus Lookingupus...I stole that from Sky & Telescope mag. I hope you get things worked out so you can enjoy the night time sky. This is a wonderful time of year for stargazing. Beautiful globular clusters are visible in abundance, especially around Sagittarius. I would like to hear about your hubby's telescope and your experiences when you get back. What a nice place for a star party.

I have some pictures of my 8 inch Dob that I built in the members albums.

Clear Skies

T 6/7 Complete
    Injured 4/20/74

The ol'BM is about the only real problem you face on a camping trip. I have a cheap drop arm bedside toilet chair I take and a outhouse yes, outhouse pop up hunting blind makes for complete privacy. I have a short bucket like 2 and a half or three gal. and put a trash bag in it.place it below and just tie it up when done. Have room enough to do the handy work between.

A tall air mat makes good for transfers in the tent. I have been looking at these double tent cots. Looks like about an even transfer and no bars to be laying on.

Hope you have a great time and remember dont feed the bears.
    Tent CotOuthouse Blind

Originally posted by Spadfan:

I would like to hear about your hubby's telescope and your experiences when you get back. What a nice place for a star party.

I have some pictures of my 8 inch Dob that I built in the members albums.

Our scope is an 8" Mead LX10. He has a spotting scope and a few other things added to it since this picture was taken this past winter. I've taken a few pics through it, but it's mostly hubby's scope. (my moon pics are in the life section under "through your eyes" thread.) We have also taken pics of wildlife through the scope.

Mtn goat from approx a mile away. This picture was taken with a webcam that was dropped into the eye piece.

On July 3, we are going up to Blacktail Mountain to film Deep Impact. I'm excited for that one! Our scope is going to be set up with the webcam, then some other people are coming and theirs will be set up with CCDs.