Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing planes and flying alone

changing planes and flying alone

I'm trying to book a flight for me, myself, and I. I cannot find a non-stop flight on any preferred airlines. If I have to change planes, how is that going to work without ending in a stranded and wheeless Amanda? Do I force them to store my chair (rigid titanium) on the plane rather than under? Is that the only way I would be able to change planes successfully?

I'm c5/c6, independent in transfers, no walking/standing for me. The changing planes is the only thing that worries me. haven't done that post SCI....or flown alone period.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

If your chair cannot fit in an onboard closet, you can ask that it be "gate-checked" and made available to you for your connecting flight. They'll stow it below and bring it to you at your intermediate stop. Just be sure to leave ample time for connecting. You'll do great.

Amanda,
    Where is it you are flying from and to? I found once when I was trying to book a flight that there werent any airlines flying non stop to my destination and then I talked to someone else a few days later and was told that yes indeed, there was a major airline that did the non stop I needed. The reservation agent didnt even know that there was a airline that would fly nonstop going where I needed to go. Worth a shot again.

thanks.
    clipper- if I gate check it how much more(than AB days) time do I need to allow between flights?

sydneyjo- I'm flying from Little Rock to Colorado Springs, or Denver if a non-stop was available to there. the only non-stop flight I could find was on some airline that I have never heard of. not sure which worry factor trumps; weird/freaky mom and pop airline (ok maybe a tad bit over exaggerated) or weird/freaky girl sitting in Dallas crying because she can't find her chair. I'm going keep looking for a reliable non-stop. but, I just wanted see if changing planes all by my lonesome was doable.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Keep in mind that you are the first one on the aircraft and the last one off. I like to leave at least one hour between flights, usually 1.5 hours. Things to consider: size of airport (wheeling distance between gates), size of aircraft (how long it takes to load/unload) and personal needs such as cathing that you might want to do between flights.

Gate-checking doesn't add more time to your connection since they *usually* bring your chair up immediately.

Amanda, I know you can handle flying by yourself, You put up with me for a few hours. As far as your chair goes just tell the air line you need it they will be more and happy to bring it right to the front of the plane for you. I have flown all over and so far I have never had any trouble. Good luck I know you can do it!!!
    "Keep on Rollin"

The only thing I would add is to ask one of the cabin attendants to snag your chair for you when it is brought up from the luggage bay (if they don't have room for it aboard) and guard it for you. More than once some other passenger (semi-ambulatory) has tried to take my mother's nice lightweight manual wheelchair when getting off the plane, claiming they thought it was an airport wheelchair (!!!). Once my dad had to chase down the chair all the way across the airport to get it back.

(KLD)

I agree..I've never been on a non-stop flight and have always gate checked my chair with no problems.

amanda,
    what are the dates you need to fly. a friend of mine does this for the corporation that she works for, if it is out there, she can find it

There is a non stop on FRONTIER...going to Denver