Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship ADA standard hearings

Cruise ship ADA standard hearings

This was just posted on the Federal Register yesterday:

http://www.access-board.gov/pvaac/hearing-notice.htm

There will be public hearings in LA (June 24) and Washington DC (June 25) on this. We need to get people there, and prepared to testify. Please share this information with others who may be able to help in this effort.

(KLD)

Actually it was announced about a month ago.

http://emerginghorizons.com/blog/200...-hearings.html

Candy
    _______
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

Candy Harrington
    Editor, Emerging Horizons
    The Only Accessible Travel Magazione
    www.EmergingHorizons.com
    Read my blog - www.BarrierFreeTravels.com

[This message was edited by candy on 05-28-05 at 12:41 AM.]

Yes, it was, but it was only posted on the Federal Register (as I said above) on 5/26.

(KLD)

yes, but I posted it to my blog, when it became public -- when I got the press release a month ago.

Candy

Candy Harrington
    Editor, Emerging Horizons
    The Only Accessible Travel Magazione
    www.EmergingHorizons.com
    Read my blog - www.BarrierFreeTravels.com

Candy,

What's your point? That you posted the info first? Big deal. It seems that your sole purpose for posting in this thread is to argue. I don't understand that. I don't read your blog or your magazine, so I appreciate KLD's post here. I find your tone to be extremely condescending. Hooray for you -- you beat KLD to the punch.

These hearings are this week. You can still send in e-mail testimony through late July. Have you done that yet?

(KLD)

KLD, any specific docket number or email the testimony to the address in the register?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I sent my comments to the e-mail address noted on the link above:

pvag@access-board.gov

They sent a return e-mail about a week later that they had received my input.

(KLD)

Court Expands Scope of Disabilities Law - Cruise Ships Must be Wheelchair Accessible
    By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that foreign cruise lines sailing in U.S. waters must provide better access for passengers in wheelchairs, expanding the scope of a landmark federal disabilities law.

The narrow 5-4 decision is a victory for disabled rights advocates, who said inadequate ship facilities inhibited their right to "participate fully in society."

Congress intended the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act to apply to cruise lines, justices said.

"The statute is applicable to foreign ships in the United States waters to the same extent that it is applicable to American ships in those waters," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority. He was joined by Justices John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

Still, the ruling is unclear how much the $2.5 billion foreign cruise industry, two-thirds of whose passengers are Americans, will actually have to reconfigure pools, restaurants and emergency equipment for wheelchair accessibility, an upgrade that could cost the industry millions.

That's because Kennedy also writes that cruise lines need not comply with the ADA to the extent it creates too much international discord or disruption of internal affairs, under a provision of the statute that calls only for "readily achievable'' modifications.

Three disabled passengers, who boarded Norwegian Cruise Line in Houston in 1998 and 1999, say they paid premiums for handicapped-accessible cabins and the assistance of crew but the cruise line failed to configure restaurants, elevators and other facilities in violation of the ADA.

Norwegian Cruise Line countered that only an explicit statement of Congress can justify imposing the U.S. law on a ship that sails under a foreign flag, even if it is docked at a U.S. port. The federal law is silent as to whether foreign cruise lines are covered by the ADA.
    BeeBee

The hearings and written testimony are for developing standards for cruise ships. They don't exist yet, so cannot be enforced even with this court decision. Once the standards are completed, then it will be easier to get enforcement. Now is your chance to have input...don't miss the deadline.

(KLD)