Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon suggestions! :-)

Honeymoon suggestions! :-)

My fiance (who is a quad and uses a motorized chair) and I will be getting married at the end of September. We are thinking of a cruise for our honeymoon. We definitely want to go somewhere warm (we are in the northeast). Leaving from a local port to avoid flying would be helpful, but is not mandatory. Would love some suggestions and advice. I.e., which cruise lines or resorts give the most bang for the buck (wish I could say cost is not an issue, but it is), biggest cabins (a suite would be helpful, so I wouldn't have to leave the cabin completely while he does his morning routine), which cruise or resort destinations have lots of accessible sightseeing opportunities. It's difficult for him to transfer, so from what I understand, tendering from ship to shore could be a problem.

While lounging around a beach or pool is on the agenda, we also want to get around and see and do things.

Also, in terms of suggestions, think ROMANCE!!! We are absolutely gooey! Sometimes I think I should carry around insulin for innocent bystanders! ;-)

I would avoid the Caribbean at that time of year as you would be in the middle of hurricaine season. While this may not cancel the cruise completely, it can alter your route and lead to some pretty rough seas. You can certainly try that though. I would recommend Western over Eastern Caribbean both for hurricaine issues as well as for accessibility.

You need to make reservations NOW as many of the crusies for the fall have already booked, and it is not unusual to find accessible cabins booked up a year in advance.

That time of year is when the fall color cruises are starting to run, usually from Boston or NYC to Monteral or reverse. Not warm, but should be beautiful.

If you want to fly further, you can also do Mexican Riviera or Hawaii from the west coast that time of year.

I would definately plan to take a manual chair in addition to the power chair. The power chair is great for on board the ship, but not so good for ashore in any foreign ports (except Canada) and not workable at all in general for tender ports. In general, the ship will either have a tender lift, or will pick up the manual chair with him in it and lift him into the tender. If the seas are rough, they may not allow him ashore at all. Just plan on other activities aboard ship if this should occur.

Suites are often not accessible, and are VERY expensive. A good regular accessible cabin will have a large bathroom and plenty of room in the cabin that would allow him to have the bathroom to himself for his bowel care/shower and still let you have the room to use. You can arrange the beds either together or apart and we often ask them to take out other excess furniture such as easy chairs or coffee tables.

Stick to the ships built since 1995. I can recommend RCCL, Princess (with a few reservations), HAL and Celebrity. Carnival is cheaper and generally a younger set, but may not be quite as accessible, and may be more crowded. HAL's accessible bathrooms are the smallest, and an older crowd. Look for cabins close to the elevators as otherwise you will spend a lot of time moving the room stewards cleaning carts out of the way to get past.

Here are some good resources for you:

Disabled cruiser's forums:
    www.cruisecritic.com
    www.cruisemates.com

Accessible cabin information

Virtual cruise ship tours (not all show their accessible cabins, but a few do).

There are some sample photos of accessible cabins on a few ships at this site too:

http://www.cgta.com/ (look under Wheelchair Users and scroll down to the cabin photos).

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 04-18-05 at 02:25 PM.]

Carnival cruises were very accessible and made for some fun times.....but like has been said reservations need to be made asap!

also make sure it is one of the newer ships...and the bigger the better so a week cruise may be more in line!! food-fun-your hun-and the sun.......what could be better?

congrats!

We went on a Celebrity crusie to the carribean. AWESOME! The greatest thing we did. Everything, I mean everything was accisble. And one great thing was there wasnt too many Kids. And there was so much to do on the boat, it was great.

Have you looked into those All-inclusive resorts? My fiance and I are getting married on Sept 4th, and we have been looking at Sandals.com. It's all inclusive, beautiful pool and beaches, free drinks and food, and even free activities.

We thought of a cruise also, but were worried about the hassles of docking at certain places, and time constraints. At least if you at a resort, you don't have to worry about missing the boat!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I've cruised 6 times and by far Royal Caribbean is the best all-around, especially for accessibility. I just read an article in a magazine which says that one of their newer ships, called the mariner of the seas is the most accessible ship of all cruiselines to date. I went on the Adventure of the seas and it was awesome. Check out cruisecritic.com for some info and you can get good deals on vacationstogo.com Good luck.

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. (And the congrats! Back at you, scaligirl! Are you loving wedding planning?) We really have to get moving on plans. But it's hard to book the honeymoon when we don't quite have a wedding date. We are going to look at a reception/ceremony site on Sunday (my first choice), and hopefully we will make a decision and put down a deposit within the next week or so. Then we can go forward with the honeymoon plans.

I have been thinking about a resort. I'm sure we would have more space and I assume there will be more accessible rooms available. Particularly since I just heard on the news yesterday that this is the biggest year ever for cruises. If we do a resort, we would like it to be somewhere where there is some sightseeing to do, rather that just resort activities. Again, suggestions would be most appreciated.

As far as suggestions, please keep in mind that we are both in our early 40s, without children (yet!) and neither of us has been married before. So, we'd like to avoid the wild young singles crowd and the geriatric crowd.

Another question. Did you use a travel agent or book it yourself online?

Don't rule out a cruise. I did the Western Caribbean out of Miami on the Carnival Victory. We stopped in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Recently another member gave an excellent review of this cruise. If you type Ocho Rios into the FIND box at the top of the page it will take you to this review. You could also stay at South Beach (Miami) before/after the cruise. Very accessible.

I would not assume you could find much in the way of fully accessible all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. Be sure you know what you need when you inquire about "accessiblity".

Many hotels say they are accessible just because they have put up one grab bar in the bathroom. There may not be room to maneuver the power chair, and rarely will there be a roll-in shower (a tub is much more common). There will not be pool lifts (RCCL is the best cruise line to consistently have these) and the grounds, restaurants, etc. may not be accessible. Rarely will there be a beach wheelchair either (although may of the cruise line private islands have them). Even in the US Virgin Islands this is rare (where the ADA does have a little impact), but outside of Florida you won't find that in this area, and of course there is no ADA in other countries in this area. There will not be accessible transportation available (cabs or vans with lifts either) so your opportunities to see anything but the resort, or even a way to get to the resort from the airport may be very limited or even non-existant. At least with a cruise you can get on/off the ship in an American port, and you see a lot without the hassle of packing/unpacking, local transportation hassles, etc.

Most cruises depart on either Saturday or Sunday, very few on Monday, so if you are planning your wedding date still I would plan for a Saturday AM wedding so you have time to get to your cruise. Although the ship may not leave until 5PM, you really need to be on board no later than 2PM or so, and if you need to travel to the port you need to consider this.

Definately use a travel agent. You can get a better deal, and it will save you a lot of time to have them take care of the arrangements (with your close oversight). Plus, if you have any problems, you need someone to duke it out with the cruise line for you (they don't pay much attention to anyone but a TA).

(KLD)

Originally posted by rg:

Thanks for all the great suggestions. (And the congrats! Back at you, scaligirl! Are you loving wedding planning?) We really have to get moving on plans. But it's hard to book the honeymoon when we don't quite have a wedding date. We are going to look at a reception/ceremony site on Sunday (my first choice), and hopefully we will make a decision and put down a deposit within the next week or so. Then we can go forward with the honeymoon plans.

I have been thinking about a resort. I'm sure we would have more space and I assume there will be more accessible rooms available. Particularly since I just heard on the news yesterday that this is the biggest year ever for cruises. If we do a resort, we would like it to be somewhere where there is some sightseeing to do, rather that just resort activities. Again, suggestions would be most appreciated.

As far as suggestions, please keep in mind that we are both in our early 40s, without children (yet!) and neither of us has been married before. So, we'd like to avoid the wild young singles crowd and the geriatric crowd.

Another question. Did you use a travel agent or book it yourself online?
    Thanks!
    I'm not a huge fan of wedding planning! I'm going to be so glad when it's over Our wedding date is on a Sunday (Labor Day weekend) so that his family from Wisconsin can make it a mini vacation. Plus, we got a $100 discount for Sunday. We also received another $100 discount from our photographer for having it on Sunday!
    We checked with Sandals resort and they are accessible (except for 2 resorts in the Caribbean). We liked Sandals because it's for adults only, no teens or kids. I just want to lounge around the pool or beach, so this is great for me. I'm not too interested in sightseeing, and the resort activities are enough for me!
    Good luck with planning!