Thread: going to greece in june

going to greece in june

im gonna be travelling to greece what do i need to do in order to travel on the airplane, i got everything settled for when i go there since almost my whole family lives there. but what do i need for the flight, do i need a special seat? how do i get into the airplane? i have a suprapubic so i wont have to goto the bathroom, will i need xtra time in between flights so i can get out of the plane etc. please give me any suggeation or any of you have experience travelling long flights

Did you make reservations already? Did you call and talk with the agent and tell them you were in a wheelchair? Did you request a wheelchair accessible seat? Did you notify them you will need assistance with boarding? If not, call them back and do this now.

Plan to arrive at the gate at least 1 hour prior to your flight. As soon as the agent arrives, introduce yourself and tell them you will need an aisle chair and two people for boarding assistance, and that you will need pre-boarding. (It is rare that the gate people are informed by reservations about these issues). Ask if your seat is one with a swing up arm, and if not, ask to have it switched. Ask if there is a chance of getting bumped up to business or first class. You can ask for a bulk-head seat, but the airline is only required to give one to you if you cannot bend your knees.

Stay by the gate and be ready for the agent to notify you when it is time for you to board. This should be BEFORE pre-boarding is even announced. Take your wheelchair to the door of the plane, and get assistance to transfer to the VERY small and VERY narrow aisle chair. Insist on all the safety belts being used and your feet secured properly. (I have had several clients dropped or spilled from these chairs with broken bones resulting.)You will need to direct them on how to lift you (refuse to let them lift you by your arms). We take two gait belts and put one around the chest, the other around both thighs and insist on being lifted with this.

Take everything removable off your chair (including the control box if it is a power chair). This includes the cushion, backpack, and also arm and leg rests. Take these on the plane as part of your carry-on. They will give you a "gate check" and put your chair in the luggage compartment.

You will go into the plane in the aisle chair and then be assisted (lifted) into your seat. Be sure it is a seat with swing up arms (except if in business or first class). Keep an eye on your legs and feet and be sure they do not get banged or caught....it is very narrow. If you cannot transfer yourself, you need to be sure you are in an aisle seat, although this does require that other passengers climb over you during the flight. Scooting over to the window may be difficult for some people in chairs. Be sure to sit on your wheelchair cushion.

Wear elastic compression hose. DVT is a risk even for ABs who fly long distances. Don't get dehydrated (drink water or juice, not coffee, tea or alcohol) as this increases this risk.

You can empty your leg bag into empty soda or water bottle, put it in the vomit bag and ask the cabin steward to dispose of it during the flight.

About 30-45 minutes before you arrive at your connection or destination, call the cabin steward and tell them you will need:
    -the aisle chair
    -two people to help you transfer
    -your gate-checked chair brought up to the plane door
    -assistance to the customs or luggage area or your next flight (either to push your chair or carry your hand luggage for you).
    You will be the last person off the plane. Be sure they don't forget you. Ask the cabin steward to be sure that no one takes your chair before you get off (it does happen...it has happened to us twice).

Don't let them put you in an airport wheelchair between flights. Insist on having your chair brought up and using only it.

You will then reverse the process. Get transferred into the aisle chair to get off the plane, then transfer back to your own chair at the door of the plane. Check the chair immediately for any damage, and if there is any, file a claim immediately (don't leave the airport without doing this).

Have a good time. How long will you be in Greece?

(KLD)

well my mom is coming with me, and my little sister i will be there approxmately 2 months thank you so much for the info i have an iglide which goes into pieces, im not heavy so i can prolly have someone carry me into a seat, my buddy might come with me so he can do it. the info you provided answers all my questions again thanks alot. i havent ordered my tickets yet i wasnt sure if i actually needed a special seat or anything like that.

oh yeah what do you mean by agent?

Ticket agent (when you call to make your reservations). If you make your reservations on-line, you then need to call and confirm your accessible arrangements directly with the airline ticket agent (usually a 800 number).

They will not carry you from your chair to your seat. That is what the aisle seat is for. If your friend is flying with you, they will allow him to do this, but will not assist him. They will not allow him on the plane (or past security) if he is not flying with you.

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

They will not carry you from your chair to your seat. That is what the aisle seat is for. If your friend is flying with you, they will allow him to do this, but will not assist him. They will not allow him on the plane (or past security) if he is not flying with you.

(KLD)
    That's simply not true. I travel a lot by myself and my chair fits in the aisle. One airline personel lifts under my armpits and the other under my knees. I have never been refused. I've even traveled with friends in chairs and they do the same for them.

On certain planes certain wheelchairs will pull up to your seat (esp. if you are in first class or in the first row), but this is rarely the case for us on international flights.

I was referring to the fact that they will not manually carry you from the door of the plane to your seat. Of course most (but not all) international airlines will assist to move you from your chair or the aisle chair into your seat if you are seated right next to it.

Lifting under the armpits can be painful or even cause a shoulder dislocation in someone with weak or paralyzed shoulder muscles.

(KLD)