Thread: Hundreds of Runnders to Participate in "Race for Spinal Victory" at Jones Beach, Long Island on April 10 - Proceeds to Benefit Spinal Cord Injury.

Hundreds of Runnders to Participate in "Race for Spinal Victory" at Jones Beach, Long Island on April 10 - Proceeds to Benefit Spinal Cord Injury.

Hundreds of Runnders to Participate in "Race for Spinal Victory" at Jones Beach, Long Island on April 10 - Proceeds to Benefit Spinal Cord Injury.
    The Long Island Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center, a project of the Testaverde Fund for Spinal Cord Injury will be holding its first annial Race for Spinal Victory, a 5K and 10 mile run at Jones Beach on April 10. Hundreds have pre-registered with tremendous support from the Long Island community. Proceeds will benefit spinal cord injury prevention, education, community outreach and research for a cure.

(PRWEB) April 8, 2005 -- Hundreds of runners and walkers, young and old will participate in this Sunday's Race for Spinal Victory sponsored by the Long Island Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center (LISCIRC), a project of the The Testaverde Fund for Spinal Cord Injury. The 5K and 10 mile run will take place on April 10 at Jones Beach. Proceeds of the event will go to fund spinal cord research, and the newly created LISCRC whose focus will be community outreach, and education programs aimed at SCI prevention.

Ron Quartararo, president of the Testaverde Fund stated, "We've had an overwhelming response from the the entire community - schools, businesses, running enthusiasts, and those that are just interested in the cause. We want to spread the word about amazing work being done to find a cure and to help raise money to accelerate that process". Registrants include Little League teams, health classes from Long Island middle and high schools, a Rugby team, members of various Long Island running clubs, wheel chair bound spinal cord injury victims, as well as other supporters.

The Testaverde Fund, a 501C3 non-profit organization, was named after Wantagh resident Joe Testaverde, who was injured in a swimming pool accident in 2000 at age 17 and is now a quadriplegic. Kathy Testaverde, chairperson of the group and mother of Joe added "Our goal is also to help families in need of assistance who do not have the support network that our family had when Joe was injured, and to educate kids on how to prevent such accidents" Joe, Assistant Director of LISCIRC is also the cousin of former NY Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/4/emw227022.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

gee, why do I never hear of this stuff??

i wonder where they promoted it?

pic of dr young and

I'm with you guys...where the heck was this promoted that none of us has heard of it? I teach in a local school, and we never got any information on it. Hell, I was just at Jones Beach an hour ago - it's only a few minutes away, I handcycle there all the time. I wish I'd heard about this sooner.

I'm going to contact the sponsoring agency and see what else they have lined up.

Originally posted by Liz321:

gee, why do I never hear of this stuff??
    Because I never posted it

It was conspiracy of Rally commitee lol

Now, seriously, there is no coordination between spinal injury groups & charities

[This message was edited by Max on 04-08-05 at 08:42 PM.]

I never heard a word about this event until now. Never heard of Testeverde or his foundation either. I broke my neck in the same way he did (diving into a swimming pool) in Seaford, the next town over from his.

BTW, I really miss Jones Beach. Great place to work, play, swim, run, stroll the boardwalk or just soak up the rays.

LO, max!

I know.hundreds of runners and it's right down the parkway!!

I didn't see anything on News 12?

Geez. I thought I was pretty up on the things. The rally passes me by (my fault I should read other forums)and now this.