Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: These hand controls are 10x better....

These hand controls are 10x better....

I have had the normal hand controls that are on the left side and have a huge metal rod right below your steering column. My grandmother recenttly gave me her car for my 23rd bday and you can't put those kind in this car for some reason. The hand control people put this hand control in and I can't tell you how much I wish I knew about this kind 2 years ago. They are so much easier, its almost like playing a video game. You have SOOO much more leg room to get in easier, and they don't stick out like a sore thumb. If anyone is getting a new car soon, I highly suggest you take a look at these.

here is the website...

[This message was edited by snowbird on 04-06-05 at 07:36 PM.]

that looks awesome!

Ride It Like You Stole It!

what are the cost of these? I tried to find it on thier website

Wow, thanks for posting this. Earlier this week I was in the planning stages of making a secondary hand control using push/pull cables and a joystick mounted in or by the center console of my car (sick of driving only with my left hand). This gives me some ideas!

The Menox controls from my dealer are about $800, compared to about $500 for the "standard" type (Monarch or MPD). I am a couple of weeks from getting controls put in, and am leaning heavily toward the Menox, but I have not been able to try them out - no one has demos available... Anyway, I am still probably going with the Menox.

Anyone else use these controls?

SNOWBIRD - here's my main concern - do your legs ever flop over to the right and get in the way of the controls? Also, can ABs still drive your car?

Originally posted by snowbird:

I have had the normal hand controls that are on the left side and have a huge metal rod right below your steering column. My grandmother recenttly gave me her car for my 23rd bday and you can't put those kind in this car for some reason. The hand control people put this hand control in and I can't tell you how much I wish I knew about this kind 2 years ago. They are so much easier, its almost like playing a video game. You have SOOO much more leg room to get in easier, and they don't stick out like a sore thumb. If anyone is getting a new car soon, I highly suggest you take a look at these.

http://menox.org/eng/images/content/...trol_mersu.jpg

http://menox.org/eng/handcontrols.htm

[This message was edited by snowbird on 04-06-05 at 07:36 PM.]
    --------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

mjschaef,

I have had absolutely no problems with my legs. AB's cant still drive your car with them also. Both of my parents said that it was easier to drive with the Menox because there is not a huge rod going down the middle of your legs. One more thing I like about the Menox ones are that you do not have to apply very much pressure for gas or the brake.

I did some looking on how something like this would work for me located where it is in the photo. I think that I would have to be short or missing a leg for this to work, as my leg is already hanging over the console as it is. Either that or really twist under my right leg towards the door. I was thinking maybe some sort of mounting for this between the seat and console with a very thin mechanism, but the seat tracks would get in the way of mounting this. Or move the seat way back from where I drive now (I have a big car) and grow some gorrilla arms . A great idea if your legs are short and you dont have to keep them out of the way of the pedals (keeping them straight out or not needing much of a bend).

I am thinking that the lever/stick method of brake actuating this device uses is still pretty cool. Most consoles dont have much under them so a 'roll your own' version of this may work pretty good if you would mount it within the console with the lever coming out like the shifter does, only further back for easy reach. Not something store-bought, but interesting nonetheless. Time for me to figure out a cheap way to accurately make some complex bends in some rod without buying a mandrel

I'm pretty sure that no matter which controls I end up with, I will also be getting a "quick release" pedal guard, so I don't have to worry about stray feet getting caught under the pedals... I think this should solve the problem, because I will be able to position my feet/legs in a "normal" fashion.

I'm still not sure which model I'm going with though... I fluctuate back and forth by the minute. Its too much money to make a rushed decision. I don't do my driver training until April 25th though, so I still have some time.

--------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

okay, one question. if the brake/gas and the shifter are on your right, how are you supposed to hold the brake and put it into gear at the same time?

They have a button type latch that you push to hold the brake in place so you can do other things with your hands (shift from park, radio, ac, etc...).

Originally posted by jd87:

okay, one question. if the brake/gas and the shifter are on your right, how are you supposed to hold the brake and put it into gear at the same time?
    --------------------