Thread: Er rooms.

Er rooms.

Every time I take my husband to the er room here in our town they dont know nothing about sci or the conditions that come with it. We had to go there this morning. My husband had surgery on may 16 [Tendoachilles lengthening&flexor tenotomies toes} any way he was in a lot of pain so I called the doctor in Pittsburgh that did the surgery he said to take him to theer here ok we get there they said they could"nt do any thing for him we would have to go to Pittsburgh. The er doc said he would give him some thing for pain so while I was making phone calls they gave him a shot of Demoral which he cant have because it make's him every sick he ask the nurse what they gave him and when he knew he told her how that make's him sick she said well it wasnt on your list . They never ask me about any allergy to med's anyway he was vomiting alot to night. Then as if that wasnt enough he started sweating and he was cold and clamy . I called his medical doctor and she said she didnt know any thing about cold and clamy and that i knew him better so for me to do what ithink was best any way the first thing that come to mind was Autonomic Dysreflexia so I st cath him thats not the cause Im gonna keep and eye on him and if theres any changes he is going back to the er and i am taking my info Autonomic with me it shard to make these er doctors under stand that i know what im talking about any im sorry this is so long had to get it out

ER visits

xhale44 - Is the ER that you have been using the nearest to your home or is it the one that your insurance requires that you go to? Yes, by all means you should take all of the information about autonomic dysreflexia and anything else with you that will explain about SCI. Can you go to a hospital where there is someone with SCI experience? If you husband is still dysreflexic tonight you should consider taking him back to the hospital. When you arrive, ask to speak to the nurse in charge; explain to her your concerns and the serious urgency of AD. If she is not responsive to your requests, ask to speak to the patient ombudsman, who is required by law to act as an advocate for the patient who is hospitalized.

Be firm, insistent but also strive to educate these people about SCI. I know that this is a difficult situation and you should not have to do this. However, if this is the place where your husband must receive his care, then try to educate them. Take with you the name of your husband's SCI doctor or a contact where he did his rehab; ask the ER doctor to consult with one of these persons. If these efforts aren't effective, contact the hospital or department administrator. Every state also has an office of protection and advocacy to assure persons their right to medical care. CRF

Xhale, All the suggestions CRF made were valid. It's frustrating, I know - we think our docs and nurses at the ER know everything, but they don't; SCI is so specialized, many of them have never even seen a person with SCI, let alone had to treat one in the ER!

Some things we've done with my son - He has a list of all his current meds/allergies, a list of all his docs and phone numbers, a brief medical history including the accident history, and the AD pamphlet put out by the PVA for health professionals, as well as the one they print for individuals.

It also helps to go and visit your local EMS, and give them the AD information. If you can, go to the ER (call and make an appointment first) and speak to the head nurse and the medical director of the ER if you can, and inform them about AD, urology, skin and bowel issues. This way, you can talk to them when you're not in the middle of a crisis, and they have time to listen. They were very receptive when we did that, and now there is information on Matt's chart that alerts any new staff to the possible causes/treatment.

The two times we've taken Matt to the ER we've called ahead to alert them we're coming in, and why; then they're ready for us. The last time, the nurse even had extra pillows in the exam room waiting for us, so we could position him on that hard table!

My experience has been that docs and nurses who haven't dealt with SCI are actually a little 'skittish'; the more info you can give them, the more they'll listen to you as an 'authority' and not just a patient, and in my experience, they've been cooperative and eager to learn.

ER visits

Marmalady - Great suggestions....you have put into very specific and practical terms exactly my thoughts. Although I have not had to experience the challenges all of you have had, it is good to know what seems logical actually does work. Many thanks! CRF

xhale44

You do have to educate ER's. Most ER docs wouldn't know AD fro VD. I had a new ER doc when I was having severe spasms and AD, so bad the chair vibrated. He saw a squeeze bottle of nasa spray in my pocket and asked If my problem was "a little cold." Another doc knew me and gave me Demerol which fixes my AD and pain right away. If the demerol makes him nauseated, the nurse may be shooting it in too fast, especially if its I.V. A shot of Phenegran right after the demerol will cure the nausea right away. WR