Thread: 'Quads' get tough on rugby court

'Quads' get tough on rugby court

'Quads' get tough on rugby court

Feb. 21, 2005 12:00 AM

All quadriplegics are not injured equally, and that is an integral part of wheelchair rugby strategy.

Official evaluators assign a number to players based on what kind of function they have left in their arms. It ranges from a low of 0.5 for those who don't have use of their biceps or triceps up to the high of 3.5 for players who merely lack some finger control.

A rugby team is made up of four "quads," and the rules state that the combined points of the four players can't exceed eight. So, for each high-functioning player, a team must have a low-functioning player. Some teams try to get an advantage by getting players to act even more disabled than they really are.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/column...1ruelas21.html

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

can i play?
    my medical records say i am a c4/5, but i have regained function. i am truly a t4 complete and a c7 incomplete, right hand fine, left hand i have built the strenght up, just not full feeling
    brian

Originally posted by bschiner:

can i play?
    my medical records say i am a c4/5, but i have regained function. i am truly a t4 complete and a c7 incomplete, right hand fine, left hand i have built the strenght up, just not full feeling
    brian
    Yes, you may be able to play! You would have to get classified and by the sound of it you would most likely be a high pointer (b/c you have less hand involvement). You'd also play more offense b/c you would probably be quick and a ball handler. Quad rugby is a blast and a great workout! I practice with the St. Louis Rolling Rams wheelchair rugby team. We are always looking for new players and people to practice with. Even if they said you didn't qualify to play, you could still practice with the team. It gives them some competition in practice so they can beef up their skills. I really wish I could play for real in games. Where do you live? I might be able to get you in contact with a team close to you. Definitely check it out! Alot of people don't know about wheelchair rugby and it's a shame b/c it's an awesome sport! Also, everyone should keep their eyes and ears open for the documentary video "Murderball"! It's very well done! Not only does it teach about rugby, but it also breaks down many stereotypes, answers questions, and shows that individuals with SCI are just as much athletes as AB (if not more!).