Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airport security check

airport security check

how did it go?

Extensive. Don´t have any tools or other gadjets (such as cutical sets) in your backpack....they will be confiscated. Your chair usually will be trace tested for explosive residue. You will also be well pat-checked. You also will have to take your shoes off. The process isn´t too long.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Mike C,
    thanks!
    any problems because of the built in rods?
    i know that often one gets its mouth checked, because of fillings or a prothesis. i mean, if one can talk without a problem, and they don't look like dizzy gillespie when working his trumpet, how much explosive could be they hiding in their mouths? i guess that our rods light those detectors up like a christmas tree...

I've wondered about that too. I've got rods in my back and a baclofen pump in my abdomen, man, you just know they're gonna think I'm a bomb waiting to happen.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

i have been thru airport security at least 6 times in the past 2 months, i will notake off my shoes, i lift myself up , let em pat me down, he metal in my body does not set off the dectotor

Titanium will not set off the alarm. Steel will. Many appliances are a combination of the two: Steel rods/Titanium screws, that kind of thing. You were probably told, at the time of the surgery, what kind of metals you had. But, you were probably not in a position to remember or care, unless you had someone else with you 24/7 (like spouse, or parent). Don't know about the pump, McDuff.

titanium in any substancial quantity WILL set off the alarm. i only have a little piece in my neck and the wand picks it up.

=It's the people that care for you that hurt you the most=

Yeah BeeBee, did not know or care at the time what the rods were.

Saw the bill paid by my ins later. They BETTER be f'in titanium; $18,500 just for the hardware! I ain't the $6mil man but working on it. Wonder if I can sell them for scrap if I ever get them removed? They span T8-T12, ought to get decent money. PARTY.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

i would be suprised if those detectors would not detect titanium. titanium knives anyone?

McDuff,
    i was also quite suprised seeing those "pentagon" prices for the hardware. i have two rods, 11 screws and whatever assy was needed. all titanium. i was told medical grade. have no idea what's the difference, but for examle each of the titanium screws cost around $1500! (screw that) the total for the hardware was ~$30k!
    once i get them removed, i will assemble them and frame them. modern art. maybe i can sell that for more than selling it for scrap.

Rods, or not, unless you can walk unassisted, your going to beep anyway just because of the metal in your chair or walker. If they suspect something, they will trace test you...and they are looking for molecules of explosive so if that machine goes off your going to get an unintended colon check so were clean underwear. I found that the more extensive checks were always involving international flights. Flights within the US varied at least for me. Philly was pretty hardcore, JFK standard, McClaren (Vegas) went very fast.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer