Thread: Hotels & adjustable beds

Hotels & adjustable beds

Are there any hotels that offer an adjustable bed? As a special request, even? I hate sleeping on flat beds.

I'm looking mainly in Philly and Indy.

I don't know of any hotels that offer these. You can rent a hospital bed at your own expense, and ask the hotel to remove the regular bed prior to your arrival. The hospital bed people can set up the bed before you arrive too. This is not an accessibility requirement, so I don't think you are going to find even a luxury hotel which would bear the expense for you.

(KLD)

Any hotel is really adapted for disabled people,true they have accessibility but there are lots of "failing things" for people in wheelchairs or even for people who are able to stand at least for moving from a wheelchair to the toilet or shower.
    Carpets are too thick,the floor in the bathrooms is too slippery and the beds are just common beds,even having "help" (people that helps you if you were going to fell down)are very hard to get,most times the house keeping ladies are nice and they help because they know you'll give them a good tip but if the managers find them helping you they warn the housekeeping ladies and they also warn the disabled person for avoiding calling them.
    Getting "Concierge service" is almost a mess in many hotels and the addresses they provide for hiring a person who can help you are very expensive,if you really ever get attention at the phone provided.

It's something that still needs attention from the hotel managers and also we as disabled need to talk with the proper person for having a safe staying at any hotel we want to visit.

www.wheelsforindependence.biz

I can sympathize. Just got back from my first post-sci trip, spent 7 nights in a flat bed. Holy crap. It was a decent bed but man I missed adjustability bad. This was a high end Marriott so if they don't have them, doubt anyone will.

No footboard also gave me 3 tiny pressure sores on my toes from the blankets, whoda thunk? And woke up *real* stiff too.

Felt sooo good to get home.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

some do, but it's not the norm.

A few Las Vegas hotels do.

And some private properties do.

And a number of UK properties. Seems it's more popular in the UK than in the US, but still not the norm, so you do have to ask.

In the US at a number of hotels you can arrange to rent an adjustable bed. You have to pay the rental fee from the local provider, but it's an option if you don't want to deal with the standard bed on holiday.

Candy

Candy Harrington
    Editor, Emerging Horizons
    The Only Accessible Travel Magazione
    www.EmergingHorizons.com

Thanks everyone.

I would think they would be more popular than this - and I'm not even speaking from a disability standpoint.

Even in nicer places I've been like Four Seasons, Hyatt, etc. I dunno.

I'm guessing from what I've heard, is that adjustable beds have that "institutional" (hospital) feel to them and it's just not something welcomed by the general public (especially in the high end properties). I've received lots of feedback like that. Don't shoot the messenger!!

Candy

Candy Harrington
    www.EmergingHorizons.com

Originally posted by candy:

I'm guessing from what I've heard, is that adjustable beds have that "institutional" (hospital) feel to them and it's just not something welcomed by the general public (especially in the high end properties). I've received lots of feedback like that. Don't shoot the messenger!!

Candy

Candy Harrington
    http://www.EmergingHorizons.com

Yeah, I can see that. If they only knew what the "institutional" feel was really like

I'm off to start a hotel chain

I am accustomed to sleep on a normal bed (for non disabled) maybe that is why I haven't had too many problems when I have traveled and slept in the beds that most hotels have,though the uncomfortability is about the space into the room,the way most things are positioned and the lack of understanding most "managers" at the hotels have.

I have stayed at the Hilton in San Diego,also at the Hyatt,at the Travelodge in Ottawa,Ca,at the Aladdin at Vegas and none of them are really adapted for disabled people.
    I must say that the best staying at a hotel I ever had was at Holiday inn express at Phoenix,Az,the hotel had pleny help for disabled and although it was not adapted at all,I never had a NO whenever I requested for help.

www.wheelsforindependence.biz

This looks like it'll solve that.

My concern is the mattress sliding off the bed.

Anyone with experience?