Thread: Magic bullet v Microenema for quads

Magic bullet v Microenema for quads

I have a new district nurse who is familiar with SCI, for once a d/n who is willing to listen and accept that my needs ARE different to other patients w/out SCI!
    She suggested that if I could get the Magic Bullet in England then I might condsider it in place of the microenema. For the quads who use it, how do you insert it and perform dig stim? I currently use the empty enema tube to dig stim. But as they say 'if it ain't broken...' but I'm concerned about the long term effects (I mean till we are cured!).
    Nurses - any long term effects?
    Any feedback will be appreciated!

BNL,

The Magic Bullet was the final step in my independence back in 1992. No more did I need anyone sticking their finger up my butt (which was absolutely the most humiliating and infuriating part of SCI for me).

In rehab, I never had luck with the Dulcolax. The microenema (Theravac) worked fast and thoroughly, and I was regular & accident free. I saw an ad for the Magic Bullet in New Mobility magazine and ordered a small box. While in rehab, they had given me a tool that can both insert the suppository and do digital stim. I used that with the Magic Bullet, and it worked just as fast and thoroughly as the Theravac did. And I have NEVER had to stick my finger up my butt!

You can order the Magic Bullet at www.conceptsinconfidence.com and the suppository instertion/dig stim tool at www.exmed.net.

CLICK HERE for the Digi-Supp Combo Tool

BTW, I'm a C-6 Quad, Incomplete

~Rus

"Don't judge me by my failures, but only by my dreams" (SR-71)

Long term effects...

BTW, I've been SCI'd for 11.5 years, used the Magic Bullet for about 9.5+ years. accidents arevery rare for me, and I'm incomplete enough that I can usually 'hold it' long enough to get over the toilet. The few times I've had problems over the years have been when i monkeyed with my schedule too much. Otherwise, I'm regular and spring-time fresh.

I haven't had any long-term effects from using the Magic Bullet. I know some people need to use half a suppository because it tends to overstimulate the bowels, but I've never had that trouble.

I say give it a shot. It might work well for you and give you more independence.

~Rus

"Don't judge me by my failures, but only by my dreams" (SR-71)

bowel program

barenakedlady - It is good to hear that you have a d/n who understands SCI and listens to your concerns. The important aspects of a bowel program is to find what works for your system, be consistent with your schedule, maintain good nutritional intake that includes adequate fluids and fiber daily. Digital stim should be done gently, with a well lubricated finger or assistive device. Dig stim does not need to be lengthy, as the goal is to relax the external anal sphincter and stimulate peristalsis (wave like propulsions of the colon, that propel the fecal matter down the intestinal tract). CRF

magic bullet vs. dulcolax

my suppositories (dulcolax) don't seem to work anymore. i think its them anyhow... i thought dulcolax and magic bullet were the same? or could switching help?

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible
    to find it elsewhere."
    --Agnes Repplier, writer and historian

Originally posted by Emi:

my suppositories (dulcolax) don't seem to work anymore. i think its them anyhow... i thought dulcolax and magic bullet were the same? or could switching help?
    hey emi - i was in the same situation... the switch to the magic bullet worked for me, as dulcolax is oil-based whereas the magic bullet is water-based. it made a world of difference.

scorpion (& others who don't stim much) - out of curiosity, what's the trick w/ the bullet? i insert one, wait ~30-45 min in bed before getting in the shower chair, then end up having to stim (multiple times throughout the program) to get anything to happen. is there a "trick" to reduce or eliminate the amount of stim necessary (besides diet)? it doesen't give me near the same amount of independence as you describe.