Thread: WHEELCHAIR RUGBY

WHEELCHAIR RUGBY

WHEELCHAIR RUGBY

Wheelchair rugby -- also referred to as quad rugby -- is played indoors on a modified basketball court with a ball similar to a volleyball.

Former U.S. coach Reggie Richner refers to the only contact sport in the Paralympics as a man-powered version of demolition derby. The game combines skills used in both basketball and rugby.

Each team has four players with varying degrees of disability on the court at once. A game consists of eight-minute quarters.

Each player can hold or carry the ball for a maximum of 10 seconds before passing or rolling it to a teammate. To score a point, a player with the ball must cross the opponents' end line. Wichitan Wayne Romero, a member of the 2004 U.S.
    http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/9486407.htm

This is just a bad ass wheelchair sport. I played a little bit when I was in Denver at Craig. There aren't any teams in my area though...no good. Hopefully one day there will be.

"...I have learned two great lessons - that there will always be heartache and struggle, and that people of strong will can make a difference. One is a sad lesson; the other is inspiring. I choose to be inspired" ~John Edwards, Four Trials

I've been playing rugby for a few months now and agree that it is an awsome sport. It's good excercise and it's a good way to meet other quads.

JDR, maybe you could start a team in your area?

www.quadrugby.com