Thread: Hands-on helpHealing Touch Aims To Restore Healthy Balance To Out-of-kilter Bodies May. 21, 2002

Hands-on helpHealing Touch Aims To Restore Healthy Balance To Out-of-kilter Bodies May. 21, 2002

Hands-on helpHealing Touch Aims To Restore Healthy Balance To Out-of-kilter Bodies May. 21, 2002

Provided by: KnoxNews.com

Written by: ChandraHarris

An energy-based medicine which finds its roots in nursing, Healing Touch uses noninvasive hand motions on or near the body to realign the body’s energy. Realignment allows the body to self-heal and restore a healthy balance. As a complementary treatment with other medical approaches, Healing Touch has given cancer patients a new lease on life, eliminated migraine headaches and even made death bearable for dying patients.

It is based on the notion that the body is a system of energy fields affecting all aspects of life - emotional, mental, spiritual and physical. More than 60,000 people have already spread the word far and wide.

First offered as a pilot program at the Memphis campus of the University of Tennessee in 1989, Healing Touch workshops have found their way to all 50 states and many countries around the world, including the Netherlands, Germany and New Zealand.

"It just may prove to be worldwide a cure for the soul," said Healing Touch practitioner Mark Smith, who renders his services part-time out of the Blount Memorial Health and Wellness Center at Springbrook.

A Touch of History

The healing modality of touch dates back to Egypt in 2200 B.C. In the tomb of an Egyptian priest is pictured a person giving a foot massage.

"It is nothing new. It has always been with us," said Margaret Leslie, a certified Healing Touch practitioner and a massage therapist. "We have known for thousands of years about touch and the energy field. "It was just abandoned somewhere along the line?"

In Chinese culture, the energy released by touch is referred to as chi, while in Japan the term is ki and in India it is called prana.

No matter what the energy is called, Janet Mentgen, founder of the Healing Touch program, said it serves as a core "to harmonious and balanced existence."

With more than 35 years of experience in nursing, Mentgen said without even knowing it, "nurses major in the art of touch everyday. I just gave it a name."

Mentgen first recognized the concept of touch in the early 1980s in a therapeutic touch program in her hometown of Denver, Colo.

"Think about it: When a child gets hurt, the first instinct of a parent is to kiss it to make it feel better," she explained. Mentgen’s program, which is a culmination of knowledge from lay healers, nurses, physicians and psychologists, became a certified program in 1990 through the American Holistic Nurses Association.

In the first year, 25 programs were offered across the United States. In June 1996, Knoxville had its first Healing Touch seminar. By 1997, more than 500 programs were in existence internationally.

Mentgen, who taught her parents (who are in their early 90s) Healing Touch, said the elements of Healing Touch are so basic everyone should have access to them.

A Touch of Realism

"You can’t see it," said Margaret Lesch, who is currently a student of Healing Touch. "But you can feel it. I don’t want it to be sensationalized because it is so real."

At a cost of $250,000, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Tucson Medical Center in Arizona will study the efficacy of Healing Touch in stressed newborns.

Dr. Andrew Weil, founder of the Program in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona’s Health Sciences Center, noted in his 2000 Self Healing newsletter, "Practitioners’ use of their hands to transmit subtler forms of energy are being shown to induce relaxation, relieve pain, speed wound healing, and even boost immune function."

"It is becoming recognized throughout the medical community as a viable option," said Leslie, who administers to a number of sexually abused clients in her own private practice and once a week at Well by Nature on Kingston Pike.

The Healing Touch therapy uses fluid motions over the body to not only unruffle and realign energy but to open the chakra connections of the body.

The chakra connections are the "main computer chips of the body," explained Mary Ann Geoffrey, a holistic nurse who specializes in Healing Touching therapy in her own private practice in Tellico Village.

The spine, sexual organs, stomach area, heart, throat, eyes and head are the seven chakra points, which communicate with the body and its flow of energy.

"Acute pain, illness right along with stress and fear can block these points," said Geoffrey, who recently was ordained as a minister by the Oklahoma Light of Christ Community Church.

Geoffrey said the hand movements over the body in "a relaxed setting causes the body’s energy field to flow again, which for the most part allows a reduction or alleviation of pain." Even when the hands aren’t actually touching the body, they are close enough to influence the energy fields.

"Nothing is like poof!" Geoffrey said. "It takes a self-evaluation, setting a goal and then maintaining treatments." Mentgen added, "Healing Touch is not all about fixing something that hurts but it can be used as a preventive method of maintaining general health."

While sessions usually last up to an hour, the number of sessions may vary. On average, an hour-long session ranges from $50 to $65.

A Touch of Experience

"After just one session," Leslie said, "you become a believer."

That is all it took for Lesch, who will travel in June to complete the third education level of Healing Touch. "It is such a complementary form of medicine that it got and held my attention right away," she said.

It has been an attention getter for her husband of 30 years, Joel, who was diagnosed 18 months ago with lymphatic cancer. Although the cancer is in an indolent stage now, Lesch said at one point he had swollen lymph nodes on his neck. "The doctor wanted to give him antibiotics and I just asked him to give us a week," explained Lesch, who would like to have her own practice in the future.

"I figured the movement of my hands can’t hurt him," she said. "And it doesn’t hurt to give it a try." By the next doctor’s visit, Lesch believes Healing Touch aided in the disappearance of the nodes.

"I can’t directly point to Healing Touch alone, but a change happened," she said. Lesch vigorously practices Healing Touch on her husband at least once a week. She said, "It is a gift."

Debra King’s life wouldn’t be livable, she said, if it had not been for Healing Touch. Looking to officially open her own holistic business, A New Beginning, June 1 in Sevierville, King was in a traumatic car accident two years ago which left her with a dislocated rib, a broken neck and twisted bone in her lower spine.

"My body was racked with pain and medication to the point I couldn’t sleep at night," King explained. "It got so bad my whole personality changed. ?I was literally packing clothes for my lunch." King, who is now taking Healing Touch classes, didn’t have the foggiest idea about Healing Touch "but I was willing to try whatever to get rid of the pain." King’s first encounter with Healing Touch allowed her to sleep for the "first time in days." "It (Healing Touch) rang true to my heart," she said. "It was all arranged by angels."

Chandra Harris may be reached at 342-6425, 981-9106 or harrisc@knews.com.

n About Healing Touch, classes, or the certificate program: Colorado Center for Healing Touch International 12477 W. Cedar Drive, Suite 206 Lakewood, CO 80228 (303) 989-0581 www.healingtouch.net

n About Healing Touch and its techniques, consult: "Healing Touch: A Resource for Health Care Professionals," a book endorsed by Healing Touch International.

n Locally, the following practitioners of Healing Touch can offer more information and client consultations: Mary Ann Geoffrey, holistic nurse and certified Healing Touch practitioner, 408-1370. Margaret Leslie, a retired school psychologist who is now a massage therapist and certified Healing Touch practitioner, 607-0173.

Vicki Slater, a registered nurse who instructs Healing Touch courses: (931) 358-9410. Mark Smith, a drug and alcohol counselor at the Emotional Health and Recovery Center at Blount Memorial Hospital is also a certified Healing Touch practitioner, 983-3467.

Provided by KnoxNews.com, http://www.knoxnews.com/

Back to Sexual Health List

Energy therapy

I've had experience with energy therapy. When I was first injured my mom's friend did some over my kneck and it gave me a lot of relief from pain. Also had some reflexology done. I had some work done of my shoulders as well.
    It really loosened them up.

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible
    to find it elsewhere."
    --Agnes Repplier, writer and historian

My PT tried this "after hours" as an experiment. I felt more relaxed, but never noticed any real change.