Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good news...I am pregnant with twins!

Congratulations Chipper!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." -- James Matthew Barrie (from Peter Pan)

Mum

Life is what happens to us while we're making other plans. - John Lennon

Wow, Chipper, how great! And a little scary, too, I imagine. As a former midwife, the advice I can give you is to really load up on your prenatals, especially be aware of the calcium you're getting, and do as much upper body exercising to build up your arm/shoulder strength as you can! You'll be pushing a real load toward the end of the pregnancy, then dealing with lifting/carrying the babes.

twins too!

Dear Chipper,
    I gave birth to boy/girl twins on April 21, 2000. I'm a para, approximate T-10 level ,my spine is fused with instrumentation and I use a wheelchair. My pregnancy was uneventful until the 6th month when I started having early contractions(I couldn't feel them) and severe anemia due to an unrelated injury that caused blood loss. I spent two months in hospital's pregnancy high risk unit and gave birth at 33 weeks. Babies weighed 4lbs8oz and 4lbs11oz. One was in NICU 10 days the other 21 days because they were premature. They were discharged healthy.Near the end of my pregnancy I was too big to intermittently cath so had a foley, and I was too heavy to transfer so the nurses got me out of bed with a hydraulic lift-it was quite amusing!I had a caesarean. No complications.
    At home I had a crib modified for wheelchair use, after consulting with Through The Looking Glass.I also have hired assistance(No family nearby),because my rods prevented me from bending and picking the babies up when they got bigger.It is easier now that they are walking and can climb up on my lap, although it also means life is very active!! I am happy to answer any of your questions. I also am in touch with another para who has boy twins, now four years old.Her experience was different than mine, she was not hospitalized, for instance, but her boys are also fine now.
    My life is full of joy every day. Whatever the challenges are, it is worth it.Congratulations and best wishes!!

Congrats on the twins!

How exciting for you! If you wish I will send you a paper I'm editing for publication, about SCI and fertility issues (preg, birth, afterwards child care) for women. It will be months before the paper is in print, and I included a summary of all the best and newest precautionary treatments. I didn't address the issue of twins in the paper but the unique issues for women with SCI during pregnancy won't change much whether you have a singleton or twins, and in case you need reassurance, all indications are that while yours is a high risk pregnancy due to paralysis (and twins) with careful monitoring both you and the babies can expect a great outcome!

Take it easy

WOW... Twins... I had three babies, post sci... But mine were one at a time... 4, 9 and 14... If I were you I would take this time to go on a vacation with your husband... After your babies come you won't have time for anything else but changing diapers and feeding babies... I wish you great health through out your pregnancy...

Bless you Anna

Chipper, what fantastic news! That is fabulous. Wise.

Congratulations on Twins

I am a t12 para and I have had two children since being in a wheelchair. I also have rods in my back. The only complication I had was that I couldn't be given an epidural because of the rods, and because I had so many breaks in my spine they couldn't find a good place for the needle.

I did have a really hard time puching my wheelchair towards the end of both pregnancies though.

I also know someone in my town who has twin twelve year old boys and she's a quad...

After you have your twins, that's when life gets really challenging

Once again, Congratulations and good luck.

Congratulations

Very happy for you. Hope all goes well.

Thats great news Chipper

You can get a double wide cart and pull them along behind you're handcycle.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred