Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia (!!!!)

Russia (!!!!)

I am probably asking a silly question when I ask if anyone has dared to go to Russia w/a chair. I want to go to St. Petersberg and study (as much as I'd love Moscow, I hear there are zero lifts) I've begun studying russian to hopefully work in Germany (complicated)
    Any Russian expierienes? THe furthest east I've been is to Romania.
    Thanks!

i've heard accessibility is a nightmare there. you'll def need to go with a good attitude and a buff man to lift yo ass up all those stairs.

Originally posted by Theophania:

i've heard accessibility is a nightmare there. you'll def need to go with a good attitude and a buff man to lift yo ass up all those stairs.
    What she said ...

When Scott (C7) and I went to Russia to adopt the children in 1996, my brother traveled with us as Scott's aid. Best decision we made--next to adopting the children!

However, Andrea, it's well worth the effort. I love Russia, and St. Petersburg is an unbelievably beautiful city, at least parts are. The more you learn of its history the more the whole country opens up as an exciting adventure into the past. Geez, wish I could go, but I don't think I'm buff enough to haul you up stairs!

~ Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.~

Hello Andrea, I just got back from a 14nite northern European cruise which included two days in St. Petersburg, Russia. Make sure you have a visa and be prepared for very little access. The Hermitage museum has 3 to 4 steps to get inside but they have very large men as security that will help. Once in, very accessible. The Peter Hoff was for the most part accessible, a lot of hills but a must see. Taxi drivers are kind and helpful. Over all Russia has a long way to go as far as wheelchair access goes. Good luck and be patient. My wife made good friends with our interpretor and she now understands what accessible means. If you would like I can give you her email address

George Croushorn

Here is some recent information on resources in St. Petersburg:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1502/june04.htm

(KLD)

It's all quite discouraging. I will contact Universities in the area. I will (or, would) be going not for pleasure rather to learn. I don't need to be fluent, but proficient and know the technological terminology. It doesn't seem so difficult after one gets past that alphabet.
    It's also societal prejudices that frighten me a little. But, we'll see. I haven't let fear dictate my life thus far.
    Martha, my Dad's cousin (the one urging me to learn Russian - she works there) adopted 2 boys and says they are the sweetest most adorable children. Do you speak Russian? Was it difficult to learn?
    Thanks again

Andrea, I bought the Pimsleur tape series, and sat in Atlanta traffic for months, talking to myself in Russian. I didn't go through the whole series--maybe just the first tape or two. However, what I learned was SO helpful! It wasn't difficult at all, just takes time, but like I said usually listened while commuting into the city or running errands, traveling, doing housework. I also bought a workbook. The Russian/Cyrillic alphabet is confusing, but also beautiful--Russian alphabet.

God, how I love Russia! Can you tell I'm jealous?

You're exactly right about the societal prejudices. In 1996 the STARES and GAWKING Scott got from the locals was beyond belief. For decades in the Soviet Union the citizens were told there were no "imperfect" people. Instead they were warehoused away.

However, the people themselves are for the most part compassionate, friendly and helpful; but there's an initial shyness or xenophobia possibly that they have to get over. Just smile your beautiful smile and show them you're not afraid or ashamed. Russians admire that quality in all people.

Russia seems to have a magneticly mysterious component to it which I find intriguing. Yes, the Crylloc alphabet is a pain, but, surprisingly phonetic. Vera (my dad's cousin) is absolutely in love w/the country and language (your words remind me of her!) I had no idea what a "commodity" Russian language is - especially since I speak German too.
    A MAJOR reason I have such an impulse to go to E.Europe would be to help "rebuild" the Baltic/Slavic states (including Hungary, Romania etc...) and get the institutionalised out of the asylums they've been kept in. There are so many opportunities.
    I think the language sounds rather -well- harsh, but I suppose German does too My neighbor is from the Ukraine, so I may consult with her, too.

I traveled to Tallinn, Estonia, in March 1992 with a group and spent about a week there. What an experience! The people ... God love em ... The people were so strong, tough, stubborn but at the same time so gentle and caring--again, once they got over that initial shyness. We went from there to St. Petersburg for about a week or so, then down to Moscow. It was quite a trip.

I so badly wanted to return to the Baltic states, but this time to Latvia or Lithuania, but never had the opportunity (read that "permission for now ex husband" ) to return. However we both were able to go in 1996 to get the children.

Please continue to keep us posted on your decisions and work. I for one am having a wonderful time living a little vicariously through you!

(**Have a foggy head - am ill w/a very surprise UTI and have taken 2 percoçetes to relieve my poor backand an antibiotic which makes me sleepy. Dreaming of other places makes me feel better, always!**)

Как дела?
    I'll be in the US at least 6 months more. I was expecting to at least be in Washington by now, but I had no idea how complicated (in an easy, yet, pain-in-the-ass way) federal employment is. I'm going to study Russian in Boca Raton at FAU while doing my boring translating work part-time till mid-December.
    I saw those "Speak Russian in 30 days!" boxed sets in Barnes&Noble. I may have to pick up a set. I spend far too much time in traffic :-/

So, why can't you go back to Eastern Europe? I don't know anything about you or your (Ex?) husband (except you're very sweet) It's beautiful and once there, very cheap ... how old are your kids? Have you been to Slovenia? That's another place I'm dying to go. I wish life wasn't full of boring and soulless obligations and I could just keep a bag packed and my passport near my car keys! My whole life has been the same - I act nearly immediately on impulses and have a bad case of what's known as "Reiselust" (Travel or wanderlust) I was talking about that last night w/my mom and how I'm always seeking change. I hate to think of having a static life or getting trapped inertia like so many people seem to do...
    Hmmm, this has veered away from the topic! Would love to hear more of your travel & kids (do you speak in both english & Russian to them?) - Andrea