Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Please: Making my Home Bathroom Accessible for My Quad Cousin

Dzskat, this thread will help me. A brother is building a house and is making it accessible for when I visit, with a roll-in and all. Got some good info here.

I agree with MZack, it is a big deal. You're right, it shouldn't be, but you'll find a lot of horror stories dealing with families not going the extra mile(or foot or inch) for accessibility. I'm glad I got a good one, and your 'Cuz is lucky to have you. Kudos are due.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Hi dz,

One thing you might want to check on is if there are any exposed pipes under the sink. Plumbers can cover them so your cousin doesn't burn herself when she rolls under.

It is a big deal! Your cousin is lucky.

Go to www.Lasco.com click on Freedom line and then go to ADA showers or tub and showers. This may give you an idea on shower sizes and also wheel in units.

Every day is a Holiday

Sorry the e-mail has changed to www.lascobathware .com click on #1 and go from there.

Every day is a Holiday

dzkat - what level quad is your cousin? It may make a difference in terms of access, necessity, design.

Agreed with others, your cousin is lucky, very lucky that you are making these modifications. God bless and good luck.

x2 on what Obed said.

I stumbled on this bath/shower option recently. I have no experience with it, but it looks to be pretty innovative:

http://turtlehomes.com/models/aio.html

Interesting, but many would not want to have to transfer and sit on the toilet to brush their teeth or shave, and the transfer to the toilet could not be done with a lift.

Limited use at best for most people with mobility problems. Reminds me of an airline toilet.

(KLD)

People make houses accessible for people that don't even live there? Wow, how cool is that?

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

tried to attach a pdf

[This message was edited by dzskatgillespie on 06-09-05 at 04:50 PM.]

Hi all,

Geez, I haven't been here in a while. Sorry I didn't see all the more recent responses. I haven't had a chance to meet with the developer since I've had all this input - so your ideas will still be very helpful. My husband's father is a developer in another state and he came up with a design/layout for me based on the comments from this site and his own experience.

I'd attach the design here - but it won't let me - it's a pdf. Is there someone who can let me put it up?

Thanks again for all your input.

[This message was edited by dzskatgillespie on 06-09-05 at 04:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by dzskatgillespie on 06-09-05 at 04:51 PM.]