Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Please: Making my Home Bathroom Accessible for My Quad Cousin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions Please: Making my Home Bathroom Accessible for My Quad Cousin

Could anyone help me out by giving me some more ideas in how I can prepare my new condo for visits from my cousin?

My husband and I are buying a duplex Chicago-style condo. We bought the first floor & garden unit for easier accessiblity for her. We are like sisters, but she doesn't visit too often, and has to fly in from San Fran - maybe once a year. I am having a temporary ramp built so when she does come I can have it out for her. The builder is being very cool with letting us modify his design, make upgrades, etc.

My main question for anyone who can shed some light is, what dimensions should the bathroom be? She told me it is easiest for her to take a shower in a "shower" not in a bathtub, because if not, she will need to bring much more equipment to attach to a bathtub. So we asked our developer to modify our master-bathroom into a shower instead of a jacuzzi tub. She doesn't seem to know much about the exact dimensions she needs, so I'm hoping someone in this community can help me out.

Also, any other ideas you may have about the home that would make her life easier would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I've no expertise regarding the proper dimensions of a roll-in shower (though I agree that roll-in showers are a Godsend for a quad.)

However, I'd just like to say that everyone should be so lucky to have a cousin like you.

MZ

MZack,

It's no big deal, I'd think most people would do what they could for the ones they love.

Thanks for your input regarding the shower. Eventhough you don't know about dimensions of a shower, could you or someone give me typical dimensions (width/depth) of a chair that you use in a shower?

Maybe SCI Nurse could help - if she sees this?

dzskat

Eventhough you don't know about dimensions of a shower, could you or someone give me typical dimensions (width/depth) of a chair that you use in a shower?

Maybe _SCI Nurse_ could help - if she sees this?

dzskat
    My shower chair is about 28" wide, from handrim to handrim, overall depth about 36" from back of rear wheel to front of footrest.

There are literally hundreds of shower chairs out there. Many if not most have their specs posted on the web, just look for the manufacturer's web site (invacare, E&J, etc.)

Also, just realized, I don't want to assume anything, what should the door widths be?

THANKS MZACK!!!

i can't help w/ the dimensions of the actual bathroom (big!) but please make sure the doorway is wide enough, at least 36" wide.
    if the door isn't wide enough for a 'chair to get in, it doesn't matter what you do inside, she won't be able to use it if she can't get to it.
    ask your cousin to measure her everyday chair as well as her bathroom/shower chair from its widest point to its widest point (wheels).
    then make sure the doorway is wider.
    you can buy "off-set hinges" for doors at most large home stores, like lowes or home depot.
    they enable the door to opened even a bit wider....here:
    http://www.adaptiveaccess.com/offset_hinges.php

nancy,where at in chicaago area are you?I used to buiild houses and live in this area.Maybe I could stop and take a look give you some idea's

Nancie - thanks for the door info.

Cementhead - The condo will be in Roger's Park - North Side of the city. Right now it's basically gutted with some framing inside. It's a gut/rehab conversion. At the moment there wouldn't be any accessibility for a wheelchair - not sure if you need that to get in, but it would be very helpful to have your input.

Thanks for all your help. SCI Nurse, I appreciate the links they will be VERY helpful. And I'd just like to say I'm happy to have stumbled upon this community, simply reading the forums has given me a newfound hope.

I found a few other older forum threads where others discussed some home modifications they had made in the past. Some with very useful info too. I am putting the links here, to make it easier for me to reference to, and maybe anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=47829
    http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=231193

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=231193

dzskat