Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Tour de France

The Tour de France starts today. It is arguably the most difficult sporting event in the world. Lance Armstrong is going for a record-setting sixth win.

While I'm pulling for Armstrong to win, there are three or four other riders that will make it a very exciting race.

Outdoor Life Network is showing it several times a day.

Ronnie

Arguably? Name me one that is more difficult to win.

Go Lance, beat those Europeans.

(Warning: irrelavent post)

Lance Armstrong makes a cameo appearance in the movie Dodgeball. (Funny movie too!)

You da man, Lance!

Actually, you won't get any argument from me at all. I was just trying to be "diplomatic" in regards to other sports. As a former competitive cyclist myself, (I'm in this chair because of a mountain bike accident) I think that a long stage race has to be far more difficult than any other type of sporting event.

Armstrong's off to a great start. Second in the prologue with 15 seconds on the closest of his most dangerous rivals.

My son saw the movie Dodgeball and thought it was very funny. I had forgotten that he mentioned Armstrong was in it.

rapid, yes great race, great coverage. Watch out for Mayo in the mntns. Could Ulrich be waiting to pounce?

Quite a few unfortunate crashes yestd'y. Just seemed sloppy.

Overall, should be a great tour.

rapid, as you know you and I were injured the same way. Once out of these chariots would you go back to cycling?

Originally posted by nate007:

Arguably? Name me one that is more difficult to win.

Go Lance, beat those Europeans.
    Thor Hoshovd is in the lead now, but I believe Lance is going to win. Heia Norge

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Wow! A crash at the front of the peleton and Mayo loses almost four minutes. He will be lucky to finish in the top 10 now.

That's a good observation about the crashes Chris, It's hard to believe how sloppy some of the riding is at this level.

I will definitely get back on the bike when I get out of this chair, (I'm certainly an optimist aren't I ), though I'm not sure if I would get back on my mountain bike. I hold a USA cycling coaching certificate and am training a couple of cyclists now. I was race director this past May of a two-day USCF road race. I stay as involved as possible in cycling. Check out www.endurancecoaching.net, it's my coaching web site.

Chris, I forgot to ask if you will get back on a bike when you're through with this wonderful part of your life?

You know rapid I'm not sure?

The day after my crash I was scheduled to run a high country 1/2 marathon and I was really looking forward to getting back into running. In fact I was training for Pikes Peak marathon in August.

I was pretty burned out on my bike having just finished Leadville 100, Triple Bypass (110 miler), Vail Ultra 100 and 24 Hrs of Moab in '99 along with all the training and had hung up my bike until April/May. Literally, my second ride of 2000 trying to help a buddy train and whack sci. Should've stuck to my gameplan of running.

Anyway, long answer to your question is when I'm back on my feet I'm probably gonna spend the first five years walking/running as near and far as possible. Then, depending on progress, etc. I'll see if the two-wheeled passion is still there.

Rapid - you are certainly braver then me. Like you, I hope to bike again (I've been dreaming about it - probably because I've been watching the Tour) but I'll never bike on the road again. All it took was one driver not watching what he was doing. However, as soon as I can I'll be riding on the bike trails (paved) around Tampa.

Hope the time trials go good today - can't believe it's raining in France.

Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003