Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must-see/do in Paris?

I'm glad you had a good time, and I'd love to hear more about it and see some pictures!

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 7 years

Ok, a little freetime. The Hotel, Cercle National des Armées was a 5-Star brillant place. Our room faced the Eiffel Tower and had a huge bathtub and candlelabra chandelier. It was situated near everything, most importantly the métro we took most often.
    Since my boyfriend is French, I never experienced difficulties with language or pronunciation. The attendants were arranged to come daily at 9am and were extremely friendly and prompt.
    The cafés along Champs Élysée is great. Lido ("Moulin Rouge") was a very cool show. The weather was very cool and sometimes rainy but I bought sweaters and pashminas.
    Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower and the Lourve were spectacular. But, mostly, I loved walking around the city and taking drinks at Brasseries and then eating fresh breads and having him treat me like a total princess each day and every night :-)
    As far as cleanliness, well, it IS a major world capital with a lot of people and of course, their dogs. No major city in the US I've been to has been perfect, so I don't care much about that. It was also quite loud when the portuguese beat the czechs in a football match one night.
    There were difficulties in the sidewalks at times with the leveling, but nothing generally that couldn't be remedied with a good push (we were laughing loudly one evening while walking and a homeless man woke up and told us to be quiet, then apologised after seeing that we were laughing at him having to give a shove up the curb). The métro line 14 was all brand new and very modern and accessible.
    I have become accustomed to BAir and Lufthansa so, was a bit disappointed with Air France. I flew economy and it was cramped with no individual TVs. The flight seemed very long but I sat next to my friend on the way back and the people next to me were very cool so it was ok.
    Shopping was excellent, there is the Summer Sale right now & Duty Free is always good.
    Oh, and the Lourve was very accessible, even the toilettes and we both got in free. I was surprised at the size of the Mona Lisa!
    Ok, there's my trip summary. It was a terrific experience :-) But, I love travel.

Thanks again for all the terrific suggestions & for those of you who have nothing nice to say, well, my condolences :-) See the world for yourself and never rely purely on anyone's opinions entirely. Travel and books are never a waste of money (a tip of wisdom I learned from my grandfather)

Best, Andrea

[This message was edited by -Andrea- on 07-05-04 at 09:56 PM.]

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni
    Eine Welf, Ein Volk

[This message was edited by Lizbv on 07-06-04 at 02:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by Lizbv on 07-06-04 at 02:36 PM.]

Lizbv, Andrea - please, no personal attacks.

What? You didn't go to the cemetary? What is wrong with you?

Seriously though, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. One of the things I remembered after reading your post was that a lot of the Brasseries had a step up from the sidewalk. This wasn't a big problem though as there were always people going out of their way to help.

I loved to travel when I was in my 20s. Now I just want to stay in the comforts of my own home. I get the traveling bug once in a while, but it usually doesn't last long. I think when my daughter is a teenager, I'll take her to Australia to visit a friend. And as long as we're in the area, we'll have to check out New Zealand too.

If I live to be in my 50s and 60s, that's when I want to start traveling again. By then, my daughter will be grown and on her own, plus I will hopefully have an iBOT by then which will really make things easier.

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 7 years

Wow, sounds like a great trip.

As a fellow quad I am interested in travel also. How did you set aides up? Did they do your bp program? Get you dressed etc.? How much does care cost over in Europe?

and how did you get into and out of a huge bathtub or did you use a bench?
    I'd need to bring 2 suitcases just for supplies!

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Liz321:

Wow, sounds like a great trip.

As a fellow quad I am interested in travel also. How did you set aides up? Did they do your bp program? Get you dressed etc.? How much does care cost over in Europe?

and how did you get into and out of a huge bathtub or did you use a bench?
    I'd need to bring 2 suitcases just for supplies!

Thanks for the info.
    My boyfriend set up the the attendant care thru the French Paraplegic Association (I think, I'll double check). I packed 1 suitcase with my clothes and I brought a showerbench and chair that goes over the toilet. I had it packed in a box that weighed 22kg. The attendant care was 11,-Euro weekdays and 15,- weekends. It varies country to country and may be cheaper to hire privately if you plan on Germany/Austria or Denmark (where it was ~21,-Euro/hour).
    Since the jets are 747s, they allow 2-pieces of luggage and they are obligated to carry the wheelchair at no extra fee.

Lizbv - if you have personal problems with me, take it up with me directly. I sent you an e-mail. Jealousy reeks from you so just chill. Or, if you don't like my posts, don't read 'em. Simple.

Shannon - we simply had no time to visit the cemetary. My BF had everything scheduled out. Notre Dame was incredible. I was so stunned.

Originally posted by -Andrea-:

Lizbv - if you have personal problems with me, take it up with me directly. I sent you an e-mail. Jealousy reeks from you so just chill. Or, if you don't like my posts, don't read 'em. Simple.
    There is no issue. I sent a reply. Jealousy? Chris Chappell requested no attacks. Now who's the responsible adult?

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni
    Eine Welf, Ein Volk

Ooooh... I'm jealous (but in a good way ). Once my boyfriend and I buy or build a house next summer we want to start traveling. France is on my list! I'm glad you had a positive experience. I'm convinced a lot of what you get out of an experience is your attitude and perception. If you go into something new with courage and a positive attitude most times you'll have a positive experience (self-fulfilling prophecy theory). You obviously have both courage and a positive attitude. Glad you had a great time!

Kimmy