Thread: handcycling for quadriplegics

handcycling for quadriplegics

i've recently tried handcycling and am wondering what other quads have used to keep their hands on the crank. i have typical c6 hands - no finger movement, but a very strong wrist extension, with limited flexion.
    thanks
    adrian d
    zwingli@hwcn.org

You could try tri-pegs to wedge your hands into place. There also are gloves available that have a velcro loop so you can grip stuff. Hard to use independently, though. I use custom-made cuffs. I crafted a canvas loop just a bit bigger than the cycle handle. Fits over it snuggly. I then attached a U-cuff of sorts so the loop fits into the palm of my hand. Easy to get on and off.

i've tried U shaped cranks. they were easy to manipulate and get out of in case i needed to. i've only ridden a bike once, but it was amazingly like riding a bike before my accident.

Check out these quad grips from Bike On. I use them and I am a C6 with strong wrist flexion and extension but no finger function. There is an adjustment screw on the "cleat" (the pin that is attached to the glove) that allows you to adjust how hard or easy that you want to make exiting from the pedals.

Bike-on quad grips

Ronnie

for sure those look real good. but...300 US is a lot of cash. i just got into cycling last week, have been out 4 times but i think i'll wait and see what else is out there or what i can build. this cuff looks ideal though. i appreciate the advice.
    adrian
    Originally posted by rapid 524:

Check out these quad grips from Bike On. I use them and I am a C6 with strong wrist flexion and extension but no finger function. There is an adjustment screw on the "cleat" (the pin that is attached to the glove) that allows you to adjust how hard or easy that you want to make exiting from the pedals.

http://www.bike-on.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=HH

Ronnie