Thread: ESPN junkies

ESPN junkies

How many of you have seen the "Without sports, who would cheer for the Nimrods" commercials on ESPN?

I thought this was just a very clever marketing scheme, but after some research, I found that everything said on the commercials is true.

I received a package in the mail today that contains a sweatshirt, long sleeved T-shirt, and a hat that will let me proudly display my support of the Watersmeet Nimrods. This has been one of the highlights of my year thus far...I lead a sad life.

Anybody interested can see the varsity boys basketball team on Leno Monday night.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that bring a much needed smile to my face.

I was trying to remember the name of the mascot last night and couldn't to save my soul...thanks.

But yeah, I've seen it...obviously. Heh.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

Originally posted by cjo:

I received a package in the mail today that contains a sweatshirt, long sleeved T-shirt, and a hat that will let me proudly display my support of the Watersmeet Nimrods. This has been one of the highlights of my year thus far...I lead a sad life.
    cjo, that's just awesome... haha

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Too bad they didn't spell "competitive" right...

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

cjo, have you memorized the Nimrod's fight song yet?

In one of the extended commercials the old guy sings the whole thing. Classic.

...and just in time for March Madness

That's my favorite commercial. From an article found here:
    While the ESPN people were in town, someone mentioned they should speak to Jenkins, a 1940 graduate. It didn't take long for Kirksey to decide Jenkins had star potential.

One commercial is just Jenkins. He wears an orange jacket and hat and sings the school fight song.

"He and his wife opened up their house to us," Kirksey said. "We sat in his garage with his tools. It was a nice scene and he was awesome. It took no more than three times for him to sing it and they all timed out at 30 seconds."

Jenkins had no difficulty recalling the words to the fight song because, after all, he is a Nimrod. His two daughters are Nimrods, too.

"You can't forget that, that was drilled into us," Jenkins said. "I used to have a good tenor voice. Now I sound like a bullfrog."

The commercials all end with the same tag line: "Without sports, who would root for the Nimrods?"
    I know some of the song, but don't have it all down yet. I have an email into the coach...yes, I'm a dork.

OK, an article on ESPN.com got me started...

"Watersmeet, the school that can't be beat, where the spirit's always high. Friends or foes, we have no cares or woes, for we are good sports, win or lose or tie. Blue and gold, our colors will unfold to the benefit of passers-by. We will shout the name that brings us fame...{don't remember next phrase} - dear Watersmeet Township High. Go Nimrods!!!"