Thread: Flying for the first time

Flying for the first time

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions I am getting ready to fly for the first time since I started having to use a chair. A little scared about that tiny little thing they call a chair to tranfer me to my seat. Any suggestions about flying? THanks

Gene

Don't worry about that. It's used to get you through the door and to your seat. There rae tsraps if you care to use them

Suggestions/Observations -

Ensure that you notify the airline when making your reservation that you will need boarding assistance and that you use a wheelchair and will need use of a boarding chair. If you are am member of a frequent flyer program, they will flag your profile though I still tell them of my disability every time. Try to get a seat near the front such as a bulkhead seat. The extra legroom makes it easier for transfers and for any other passengers that may be next to you. It may be tougher to get a bulkhead seat if you don't fly a lot as they will hold those for higher mileage fliers. I don't have a problem with that as I log over 50,000 mi/year. You will also be first on and last off. Bladder mgmt on shorter flights entails not drinking as much prior to the flight and cathing prior to boarding. On longer (generally intl) flights, I will use a closed cath system under a blanket and discreetly hold in my carry-on until disembarkation. I've even gone out with flight attendants that I have gotten to know from some of my more regular flights. So it's not all bad.

Go with a friend if possible. I find flying to be really embarrassing. Tip: Try to be early because they either 'load' you first or last and it is the worst thing to have to transfer when the plane is full.
    Also, try to stick to larger airlines and airports so you can walk right onto the plane through a corridor or else you have to get carried up a flight of stairs or use the cargo elevator out on the tarmac.
    Oh and keep your seat cushion to sit on for long flights....

wow, thanks everyone. it is almost here. I used to fly about 4 times a month and it is time to get back to it with my office. They are getting ready to make me start traveling again. So lets hope it goes well. Thanks for all the advise and I will let everyone know how it goes!