Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mini-Van is the best?

Which Mini-Van is the best?

I am considering buying a Mini-van that has been converted. It will have to be able to be driven by both of us. Probably, side entry with a six-way power seat for transferring. I see there are different companies doing the conversions. Braun, IMS, VMI are the ones I see listed in ads.

Does anyone have any pro's or con's on which conversion is the best. I see that Chrysler seems to be the vehicle of choice also.

Thanks for any inputs, they are so expensive, I don't want to make a mistake.

Mike

Mike

Obviously this was the wrong forum. Does anyone have a suggestion about another forum or web site, where I can get some help?
    Thanks

Mike

you might get more input at newmobility.com
    good luck

The "best" Mini Van may not be the best one for you, I had to weed out several because I canot transfer and I needed to see out the Windshield from my Wheelchair to drive. So I had one option a Activan from Eldorado,they were the only company making a 12" lowered foor.UIhas a ricon folding ramp and works great for me. Sounds like any mini will fit your needs just need to pick one. The best ways are ask the guy's who service them,visit some shops and see whats getting fixed.I would never get a Van with out a manual over ride! As they were putting in my hand controls I saw three come in where the ramp slides into (under) the Van BROKE! as far as Dodge,Chevy,Ford...you'll get 10 differant reasons why one is better than the other.I've had lots of full size Fords,some good some money pit's.I like my chevy. Good luck. http://www.creativebussales.com/shut...an/activan.htm

"Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

If you are buying out of your own pocket (not DVR, etc.) you should really consider a used van. You can find them fairly recent with low milage, and there is a steep depreciation it the first year.

Check out Ebay Motors (search under "wheelchair van") and also this site: www.disableddealer.com

(KLD)

ditto what kld said, there's tons of great deals out there that can save you a lot of money and time.

We just purchased a new Dodge Grand Caravan Rampvan from MITS... they also sell used vans and the great thing is they ship anywhere in the US... We had them sell our old van which just sold this week. They do have photos of new and used van on their site.
    http://www.wheelchair-van.com/default.htm

MJ

My suggestion is a Dodge Caravan with the IMS rampvan set-up.

Maybe oldsailor if you described your level of function with a little more detail we could assist you more.

Your initial post was pretty vague.

it would help if you would fill in your profile. This way the questions that need to be asked are already there.

~ What level are you?
    ~ Whats your ability?

One thing to consider with a mini van. My chair is 29 1/2 inches at the handrimms due to camber. It would not go up the ramp. After getting in the van, my chair was the only thing that was going to be in there. Very cramped.

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Sorry for the lack of information. I was just trying to find out which mini-van conversion was the best. (Most reliable.) I have talked to a couple of dealers and their opinions vary with what they are trying to sell. I did get a copy of the Disabled Dealers Magazine, which led to my question about which conversion was the best as far as mechanics.

I am paraplegic, with good upper body strength. I have a full size 1990 Chevy van with a lift and transfer into the drivers seat to drive. I use a manual wheelchair. I am almost 60 and my arms and shoulders are beginning to complain from all the transferring.

Thanks for the suggestions; it is a very expensive decision!

Mike