Thread: Competative archery

Competative archery

Does anyone do this? I'm going to be getting a bow soon and would like to compete at some point. Any advice? thanks

Hi Blundy,

What type of archery are you wanting to compete in, eg target, field?

I have just got back into archery after a 15 year break and am looking to start competitive shooting at some point as well (more for the social aspect though).

Presuming you are shooting with a club, get someone who knows their stuff to help you make sure you have the right gear for you. I am in the process of replacing a lot of old gear (bit of a difference between what suited me at 15yrs old compared to now), then practice to get your sight marks, technique etc sorted out.

My plan is to get all that sorted out then look at competitions in six months or so.

What type of bow are you getting? eg recurve versus compound.

Do you use a chair? Bragging about a fellow kiwi here, Neroli Fairhall won a gold in the 82 Commonwealth games in archery, and became the first SCI person to compete in the Olympics in 1984 - though she didn't do quite as well in that one

Cheers,
    Kaye

Let me know when you can pick off an asprin at 30 yards......

What are you looking at shooting?

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

Let me know when you can pick off an asprin at 30 yards.....
    haha! I won't have to let you know because you'll hear me screaming for joy all the way from here to Penn! but, don't hang out in the yard just yet listening for me. that's probably gonna be a while. lol

to answer yall's questions I'm getting a recurve bow. it's not competition quality from what they told me at the archery shop, but is suitable for hunting and for target practice just for fun. i'd like to up-grade later on. it's my first bow. i've fooled around with targets with a friend's bow, but never put any serious work into it. i'd like to get really good though.

i think it would be fun to compete and I also want to bow hunt to extend my deer season, but won't do that until I'm confident with the bow. for now it will just be target practice.

maybe a dumb question-what's the difference in target and field competition?

yes, I'm in a chair. i don't think i'll be competing in the Olympics any time soon though!

at the store they have a shooting room for $3 an hour and will also give lessons for $25 per lesson. that didn't sound too bad. i'm not in a club. wish there was one around here though. that'd be great.

thanks for the advice and anything you want to add about either competition/hunting with a bow, or anything at all about bows and gear, i'd appreciate.

good luck with your later on competitions kaye. pat do you compete, hunt or both? thanks.

HI

Target archery is shooting at either 60cm or 80cm diameter targets from distances ranging from 90m (males) or 70 (females) down to about 30m.From what I understand alot of countries are associated with FITA (seelink) who set all the distances, rules etc.
    http://www.archery.org/

Field shooting is a cross country shoot at targets from 10cm to 60 cm diameter over a range of distances (not sure how far, last did one in 1989).

Clout shooting (really cool) is shooting a flag in the ground from 185m or 165m (men) or 165m or 128m (women). There are a few pictures on this link.
    http://www.trenthamarchery.wellingto...nz/Archery.htm

Are you in US? Seen this site?
    http://www.usarchery.org/

I haven't tried bow hunting, not my thing. Better stop procrastinating and work on my assignment due in next week.

Cheers,
    Kaye