Thread: Head rest for manual chair

Head rest for manual chair

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a removable head rest for a titanium chair? I have recently switched from my electric chair but would like to travel in my van with some sort neck support.

Hi Chaz, You will need to remove the back upholstery that came witht he chair, (if you have not already) and purchase an after market backrest with a solid shell. You will be able to mount your headrest bracket to this, Some options might be Otto Bock or Body Point. Both of which make nice componets.

Thank you for the info, I have spent some time searching through almost every wheelchair manufacturer and could not find any sort of detachable quick release system. I'm thinking of Jerry-riggin some old bike parts together. I would like to keep the adjustable backrest for comfort and only put the head rest on for safety in the van. I have a crossbar mid back, but I'm not sure that would give enough support I'll check out the the components you suggested. Thanks again
    chaz

I am curious? Do a lot of people in manual chairs drive or ride in their vans with no headrest? Is that safe?

Brian

Chaz19 - did you ever get your head rest fixed?

I recently had my rods replaced and they had to lengthen to the point that I can not longer drive my S10, so I have switched to a van. I experimented with the six way seat but the transferring is for the birds--so I've gone to the EZlock system and a manual chair.

It has been a mess.

1. There is no head rest--so I to am trying to come up with something.

2. Width of chair puts me off center of the steering wheel. I have just tonight taken the chamber to zero and moved the wheels in .5" on each side. I gained about 1" on each side. I am thinking about narrowing my seat pan to 16" thereby gaining another 1" on each side.

3. My next problem is height. I have a Invacare MVP and have raised the axle brackets 1" so that will drop me 1". It also gives me a 1" dump which I am not use to. The other thing is it made the wheels 1" higher.

Where do you find pictures that show optimum seating positions in manual chairs??? I mean pictures of real people not drawings???

EM

bspill, I've been driving for about 3.5yrs without back/headrest from my manual chair using chair brakes and seatbelt. Incidentally, I'm C6-7.

Knock on wood - so far no problems.

It's really a matter of how comfortable and confident you are. And for me the speed/access in and out which is roughly 30 seconds.