Thread: Archery question

Archery question

HI

I have recently got back into recurve target shooting and took my boyfriend, who has a T3 sci, shooting with me the other day.

He said he felt really off balance when drawing back the bow,although the bow we were using was not too heavy. Does anyone have any hints regarding shooting from a chair perspective?

Cheers,
    Kaye

I saw quad rugby players wearing a wide black velcro belt to stay in their chairs. Maybe something along that way of thinking would help???? How is he shooting? At a 90d angle over his wheel or turned more so he is shooting out the back corner of his back rest (135d)???

HI

Thanks Pat. Never thought of that. He seems to be at a slight angle to the target, which looks like he doesn't get as full a draw as being 90% to the target would alow him to do. Does that matter or is consistency in what he is doing more important.

For his first go shooting we were only hunting for a few arrows, so he didn't do too bad He is still keen to have another go, scary thing is now my 6 yr old wants to as well!

Cheers,
    Kaye

I have a friend who is a quad who happens to be a rather good archer. She has a strap that has rings on the end to go around her chest, under her arms with the rings hooked over the push handles on the chair. I don't recall it being very tight but then I didn't really pay too much attention to it. Seems to work well for her, though.

I would assume the back on his chair is fairly high so some sort of strap should be easy enough to rig up for him.

I suppose he wouldn't want to balance an apple on his head would he? Just kidding.

What do you mean by "slight angle"? Generally, what I've seen is that the archer turns the chair at 90° to the target and draws across their chest just as you should do.

Kaye- there are so many different variables to cover... Is he shooting a tournament bow or Hunting? does he use a stabilizer on his bow? what is the size from wheel to wheel? I was looking at a new bow the other day that I could get my 31" draw but it was only 24" cam to wheel.

As for the kid shooting....GREAT!!! I got two boys (9,11) they both have been shooting since they were 5.

http://www.uffdaclub.com/mission.html

Hi

Thanks for the feedback Pat & Weekender.

He is using a recurve beginners bow as opposed to a compound bow. We will have to go down to the range and have another go working on his technique tomorrow.

Pat, what gear did your kids start to use? What draw weight did they start with? Off to lookat the link you posted.

Cheers,
    Kaye

PSE Nova Jr.

It will only shoot about 15 feet on a calm day. But it teaches them the basics.

PSE Nova Jr.