Thread: Longest drive/ride?

Longest drive/ride?

How long can or have you lasted on a continuous drive or ride without getting overly sore or fatigued? Flying may or may not be more convenient to travel within a continent but a person can see more of the country if going over the road and hit more of the offbeat places. Curious to see what the rest of you have experienced.

12 hours has been my longest drive (and I've done it 4 times now), I was pretty uncomfortable by the end (esp. last time when I had to sit in the back seat beside the baby) but I could have lasted a few more hours. But if I'd been sitting in my chair I don't think I'd even make it to 6 hours (just too uncomfortable balancing in it around corners etc.)

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

12-14hrs sounds about right for the longest drive I've made in a day (& those were LONG days; I slept well afterwards )... both pre & post SCI.

- Virginia to Killington, Vermont: pre, I think about 12hrs straight.
    - Virginia to U. of Illinois: post, 2.5 days w/ hotel breaks in the middle.

Flying is easier from a time perspective, but I hate dealing w/ airlines w/ a chair.

[This message was edited by scott (jmu) on 12-19-03 at 11:39 AM.]

At 3 yrs post, 9 hrs is my max. (With me driving) I did it just to make sure I could.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

i drove 24 hours about 3 years ago. left 8:30 am got home next morning exactly 8:30 am. about 1,300 mile round trip to southwest texas went to look at a bulldozer i had won on internet auction. good thing we looked before paying, they forgot to mention in the auction dozer was near the bottom of a river and underwater often.

drinking lotsa coffee everytime i thought we was making good time dad had to pee, shoulda got him a leg bag.

Jesse made a 30 hour non stop trip from CA to MN just about 2 weeks ago. Big mistake. Three pressure sores by the time we arrived. We have learned the hard way. And he was just the passenger. He just didnt move enough.

I've always been kind of a driving freak pre and post sci.

This summer, August, I drove to NY from Denver, 28hrs straight only stopping for food, gas.

Adrenaline is my friend because I don't drink caffeine.

Getting there wasn't as tough as driving back a week or so later. I put 5,000 miles on my truck in that one trip.

Two weeks ago I flew to Seattle for a Seahawks game then returned on a Monday only to then turnaround and drive my truck again to Las Vegas, about 9-10 hrs. No biggie, gorgeous country.

And typically every year I usually spend two weeks at the beach (Laguna) in CA. If I leave my driveway by 9am I usually arrive at the Pacific ocean by 2am the next day - about 15hrs.

So far no skin issues although the NY trip was pushing it.

I think in '03 I traveled about 18,000 miles. Hawaii, NY and many parts in between.

It can be done (driving long distances)although its definitely not everyone's (wife, hehe) idea of a good time.

Onward and upward!

I'm with Emi on the riding in the chair. No way! I can barely handle area paratransit for 30 minutes. I transfer to the passenger side captain's chair in the minivan and we regularly hit 8 to 12 hours at a time. I've found that taking the gel portion of an old Jay cushion and padding the seat with that and then covering the seat with one of the ready made shepskin type things makes life a lot easier. And makes my butt much happier!

Anyone know why air travel we get advice to wear compression hose (TEDS) but not on long drives?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."