Thread: Let's see if this works....

Let's see if this works....

Okay, after talking to the ever-so-sexy mattblan, a thought crossed my mind:

This might sound a lil complicated, but I'll give my example after I'm done.

I think it'd be great if someone who was interested in taking up a sport, had the resources he/she needed to do so. Sometimes just telling someone to look it up off the net is not as easy as it sounds.

So, those who are athletes, and those who wish to take up a sport, whether it be to feed his/competetive nature, just for recreation or to pick up the opposite sex, post your name, the place you live/or train, and what you do/are interested in doing. Also, for those already active, would you mind posting where you got your info, like specific names, so that if there is someone else who is in your area, they know where to access the info they need.

The reason I want ppl to post where they live is so that if there is someone else who lives in the area and wants to get together to go for a push or something, they can.

I realize that we're all sorta finely dispersed over North America, Europe, Asia and Australia...but there might be people who can somehow benefit from the info posted by all of you.

For example:

I do racing, triathalons, and I've played tennis. I got involved in sport after I moved to BC, and was sent an invite from BC Wheelchair Sports to take part in a sports camp. Racing is my main focus, and I meet with a group twice a week, one day for track work, the other day for road work. I train at Iona Beach, and also at a local track, in Vancouver. I belong to the WC Race series, and a lot of the info I got is through BC Wheelchair Sports. Going to your local rehab centre and speaking to a rec therapist is an awesome way to get information.

I'm also at a higher competetive level, so I train for the rest of the week on my own. That doesn't mean that if you get involved in sport, you HAVE to be super competetive....I'm just doing that because I enjoy it.

Post away....hopefully someone will benefit from what you have to say.

Cheers,
    Kiran

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

To see my race team (local, not the National Team) and the info provided at their site, you can visit:

www.wcraceseries.com

There are some images there of different racechairs, some handcyles (in the Tri Club link) and the different events we've taken part in. Just click on 'images'.

If the links(or whatever you'd call it) under the pics don't work, then just click on the underlined text at the top of the page.

If you have questions, drop me an E.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

I can't believe it, but you managed to make being in a w/c look fun.

Thanks Kiran

Kiran, very

Congratulations on all of your achievements.

As far as topic goes, great idea. I've got so many links (mainly posted within this forum)though that I wouldn't know where to begin.

But, if anyone is interested, please ask away and we'll do our best to find you the answer.

If you want to race and start I used my manual and pushed in local 5K events (this was a while ago, I haven't competed in years, doing other stuff )

If you're in NY (or any area really) give your local PVA chapter a call.

I started playing tennis at the Natioanl Center in Flushing where the US Open is played. They run a program. Again, I haven't picked up a racquet in a few years...but they're still there!!

I live in northern California and I would like to get into paralympic powerlifting and perhaps handcycling. Before I was injured I was putting up 365 lbs at 165 lbs body wieght. I am back up to 270 lbs on flat bench after only a few months of training. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the records for both usa/world powerlifting in the 165 pound class?

My daughter, Karen, was an Equestrian Athlete before her injury in September, 2001. She longed to get back on a horse and was finally given the 'go ahead' from her Doctor about 9 months after her injury. It wasn't quite the same, but she went to the Dressage Paralympic European Championships in Portugal last year. One of the websites for this is www.es4pd.co.uk/index.htm

Karen liked the competitive side of riding, but it is also very theraputic. Apparently it uses the same muscles one would use for walking and it did help in her recovery.

Kiran, for wheelchair racing do they have different Grades? For the riding, there are 4 Grades - Grade I, II, III, and IV (according to injury level). Karen was a Grade III, but has been reclassified recently as a Grade IV. She is a T12 incomplete.

Good Luck with your racing. I hope you qualify for Athens!! Go Canada!

Darlene

PS - We were in Vancouver on the weekend and took 2 delightful little ferries to Granville Island in beautiful sunshine! .......it was almost as beautiful as Victoria! jk

[This message was edited by Karen'sMom on 10-27-03 at 02:33 AM.]