Thread: new sci travel

new sci travel

Going to a convention in Reno Nv.
    I'm taking my electric chair and have already made hotel and plane reservations. My concern
    is I use a commode chair for showering and also for bathroom issues. How does one handle these issues as I'm not able to take my personal chair
    help !!!!!!!!!

Options:

1. Disassemble your personal chair, box it up and take it with you. If you do this, make sure your hotel bathroom will accommodate your chair.

2. Ask the hotel if it has commode chairs available for use. Be very specific in your request, and make sure that your needs are met.

3. Purchase a commode chair designed specifically for traveling.

4. Rent a commode chair in Reno. This could be difficult to do, but it's another option to explore.

You can find more information by searching this site.

I always have to take my shower chair with me. Take advice from Clipper, it sounds like he has done it more than once. Have a good trip mrpockets.

The shower commode chair has been a problem for me too. I have traveled to Portland and San Francisco and ended up having to have bed baths and doing the bowel routine in bed. I have tried to rent a shower commode chair but they seem to be unavailable. Something about a sanitary issue. Somewhere on this site there was a reference to a traveling commode chair in a convenient travel case but it was rather expensive. If you do take your chair, be sure to insist on a roll in shower.

The portable chairs are indeed expensive. But if you plan on traveling on a regular basis, it is well worth the cost. I'd say it's among the best purchases I've ever made. Not having to worry about this issue leaves me free to plan other things.

mrpockets,

I think skier and clipper were referring to this site for portable shower/commode chairs:

www.nuprodx.com

As mentioned, expensive but imo worth it. I've had mine for a year+ and find it invaluable.

And it may be a tax write-off if your travel includes business. Check with your tax advisor.

good luck.