Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane Reservations

Cathy,

If you have any more questions before you travel in regards to airport procedure plz email me. I'll help any way I can. I read your profile. My son was born 2-1-78. He's just a couple weeks younger than you. I hope to interest him in this site so he will have some support. His DOI was 29Jun01. I want to post a picture of him on the site here. The most recent one I have is where he is pushing up in his chair to appear to be standind but is really resting on it. Made us all cry. I'll see if I can figure out how to put it on here. You all are so brave. No one can know how tough it is except you all who have to struggle with this new way of life. I know your mom is as proud of you as I am Ben. He's regained his center of balance but no sensation from the chest down. If you decide to fly Delta let me know, ok?

Hi bcmom. My dad is a retired Delta pilot. Based in DFW most of his career, then PDX. Hang in there.

Thanks Clipper. This site is awesome. You all are wonderful. I hope to get my son to sign on here this week and see what its all about. He tries to do this all alone and really needs to talk with you all. Your dad should be able to give good insight for you all for making your flights more pleasant. I hear some awful stories of how people are treated. My goal at Delta is to become an advocate for the disabled so I'll be pulling for you all and hopefully discover ways to make airline travel a more pleasant experience for any of you when you fly. There should always be assistance provided for you and at the same time respect for you to be treated as an individual. The DOT monitors this real well and here in the past month have really stepped up the monitoring of the many complaints that have been filed for service failures with our special needs passengers. There's just no excuse for failure with all the equipment and resources available to the airlines. Each nonjetway city now has an ADA lift also for anyone wondering how the stairs are manipulated up the aircraft in these cities. The lift actually will raise you from below the stairs of the aircraft to the aircraft entrance where you then transfer to an onboard aisle chair to your seat. This should be a great help instead of counting on agents to carry on/carry off and possibly cause more injury to passengers. If any of you have traveled by air and have good tips to pass on to me I'de love to share them with my passengers that I assist. Again, you all are great..keep up the encouraging words..wish I could give you all a big mothers'hug!

bcmom,

I think you could really do great things within the organization. Nightmare stories about flying with a wheelchair are abundant, but things are getting better.

The first time I flew with my (then boyfriend) husband, I actually full on cried. They were treating the love of my life like a child. My husband is a highly educated man (physician, researcher, professor) and we were going to sanfrancisco where he was giving a presentation and they were asking ME if he could stand and if he would like a drink of water. Thats where my attitude comes from. I come out swinging. I cant help it. More times then not they try and push us around to make their own lifes easier. Not all are rude, I guess it is me that is mostly rude. BUt i tried sugar and spice and then they tell me how their best friends sister has a sci so they are more equipt at making decisions about where to store my husbands foot pedels.

Ok, again, I have a soap box. Flying is the only time I take over and "take care" of my husband.

I am sorry to hear about your son. My husband has a T3, complete, he got it 30 years ago when he was a child.

I wish you guys alot of luck

MoodyMcMoody

Are you flying out of Bradley?
    We will be flying in October. We are using Southwest Airlines.

Linda L Styckiewicz

Linda,

We will be flying out of Newark. It is closer for us than Bradley.

Cathy

parapal