Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know a lot of you have to feel this way:

I know a lot of you have to feel this way:

I need a freaking adrenaline rush, & I can't find the means to get one. I won't reminisce too much here, but this stupid SCI ripped me out of a very active outdoor life, & it's still inside of me with no easy way out.

what do you do? Weight equipment doesn't do it for me. Haven't tried handcycling, although I was never much for road bikes anyway. I just want to run outside & tear up one of the singletrack trails in the area. I want something to physically get my body airborne Skydiving doesn't count.

I know there are no easy answers, but I needed to vent that. It didn't help much though... oh well. I figure many of you can relate, right?

~ scott

I can relate. Sometimes I want to feel that adrenaline pumping through my viens.

I've tried skydiving...... was exciting but honestly, not as thrilling as I imagined it would be. The thrill was mostly at moment IA jumped from plane..the rest- freefall and open parachuting, was surprisingly serene. I would love to try hang gliding.

Quads are more limited than paras... i have friends who do track, tennis, b-ball and other active sports, which has been too difficult for me. I used to ski prior to injury...have since injury as well, but even the rush of down hill skiing is tempered by the time comuming set-up into bi-skis, needing assist to get to slope and lifts and being tethered as i go down Although I dont need much assist going down, and it is great for working on body control...there is not that sense of freedom and independence these activities once had for me.

Ive tried water skiing (much like snow ski, maybe less restricting), sailing (too sedate, but may be more exciting during a wild storm..ill see) and will be trying kayaking later this week (I have feeling we'll maybe just get a chance to stroke a paddle a few times in the harbor) Whats funny is, that people seem to spend more time trying to pad and strap me down to secure me than actually engaging in the activity. Im a pretty functioning quad, great trunck control, but people just worry too damn much....or else they are just covering their ass.

Still seeking that adrenaline rush.... let me know if you find it Scott

ps... ever look into Wilderness Adventures??

You could always get a souped up Hot Rod and do some drag racing, that will give you an adreneline rush for sure as you are pinned against the seat going down the track.

Handcycling is a lot of fun, there are special grips made for quads. You can check with Scott at www.bike-on.com about this. I find my Varna Speed bike to be about the best if you have no working abdominal muscles. That bike is a thrill to ride as I am so fast on it. The Freedom rider bike is a thrill to going down hills in the curvies as you are leaning with your body to control the steering. Really brings back memories of my Motorcycle days.

The Other things you could do if you are a little more daring is you could ride an ATV in the woods or MX track, I use to ride a Polaris, but started worrying about getting SCI again as I was so wild on the bike.

I was watching ESPN2 a while back and they had downhill mountain bike handcycle racing on. The bikes have four wheels and look like little go carts and you are in kind of a kneeling position and they send you down a steep hill with all kinds of mogals. Looked pretty sick, that would sure give you the adreneline rush you are looking for, lol.

Sailing is lots of fun, I have got involved with it this summer. It does get a little more interesting when you get some intense wind. The boats we sail though can be kind of boring as they have 1200 lb keels as they are designed for Paras and Quads and they did not want these boats going over as we are strapped in.

A freind was telling me that in California they have a Cateraman class in sailboat racing for disabled folks, that would definately make things more interesting, although could be a little risky too unless you were a real good swimmer when you went over.

One simple thing you could do for a quick thrill is be lifted into a roller coaster at your nearest amusement park, that is always fun.

Might want to try White Water Rafting, that is a blast. Even if you are just sitting in the raft and not paddling.

I could go on and on, there is lots of stuff you can still do.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I hear ya Scott.

Downhill Mntn biking is the best suggestion I can think of for that 'rush'.

Check out www.adaptivesports.org Great people, as aggressive as you want to be.

I'm getting too old for the rush but I am going to try scubadiving in Bonaire in Sept. for a week www.hsascuba.com It'll be a different kind of rush.

Good luck.

Hey, come to think of it why not try adaptive motorcycling?? Yes quads can do it.

thanks all - good ideas

Chris, the downhill mtn biking has always looked darn cool, but as a quad I'm not sure how it'd be w/o finger dexterity for braking, etc. Any ideas if it'd work?

I'm scuba certified as of about 9 years ago, but haven't touched it post-injury, primarily b/c of logistics to take such a trip... but I'd love to hit that up again.

adaptivesports.org - WOW. sounds awesome... most people I know from Colorado are pretty cool (edit). My roommate from my freshmen year.. actually the guy who was skiing with me the night of my injury.. lives in Crested Butte. If I could find a way out there, that sounds great. (They changed their website around, right? ...otherwise I don't think I've heard of this organization before, which would surprise me.)

another thought: powered parachuting (think the ski chase scene in James Bond: Die Another Day)... looks cool, a bit slow (30-40mph), but fun nonetheless. www.schmitmeyer.com - a quad from Ohio who does it.

Chris, adaptive motercycling for quads? how? do you have a reference on the web for it?

Curtis, admittedly handcycling does look fun... but road biking bores me as much as running used to. Is there any way of getting off road w/ it? I've seen the bike by that titanium company, but it doesn't look feasible for a c6/7 injury. Throwing knobby tires on a road bike wouldn't work well; is that the same situation for most handcycles?

haven't done any whitewater post-injury either... not a bad idea, but again, logistics & frequency are the drawbacks.

I'm also awaiting a response from a friend in California about custom building an accessible rock-crawling TJ. I posted a few pics a while ago about the concept... if I hear more soon I'll pass along the info.

Chick, believe me, if I figure this out, I'll let you all know. Where are you trying kayaking? I've thought about that, but it's near impossible to roll w/o using your hips. Do you know of any ways to adapt a kayak so it doesn't roll? I guess pontoon-type extensions could work, kinda like training wheels on a kid's bike.

ugh... why can't this be easier?? thanks again for the empathy. just figured I'd gather some ideas...

peace,
    ~ scott

[This message was edited by jmublueduck on 07-27-03 at 09:52 PM.]

My son was active in snowboarding, skateboarding, and wakeboarding, he is c5-6 two years post, I have taken him water skiing, to Disneyland, Knottsberry Farm, and Six Flags, I have put him on every ride, supreme scream at knotts scared him the most but all gave him that rush he still craves,even superman the ride was fun, we are now looking at the Pilots, we know a group of quads and Para's who go to Glamis riding the sand dunes, they are from xtreme medical, I will see if I have there website, but the amusement parks are a rush for him, hope this info helps.

I just went on an awesome hike with a friend and her dog today. I was a little wary about getting a flat tire or diminishing accessibility as we went on. The gravel and dirt road wasn't too difficult to navigate. I ended up needing my friend to push me up a couple steep sections and to my surprise hold me back on a couple descents as my tires locked up and there was no traction on the loose surface. I almost careened into a mess of poision oak! Anyways, it was great fun but I definitely need to get some tires with some tread.

hey scot... the ideas you threw out are great ! ingiting my curiosity about other sports that can be adapted. I agree about the logistics and frequency issue. there's not too much in my area aside from the typical sports - baseball. b-ball etc. others need travel and more planning required. more done as "trips" rather than on regular basis. I am in the city, so not too many outdoorsey activities that doesnt require travel. the kayaking I will try tomorrow is in the lake, harbor in downtown area. the group had gone to the st charles river to kayak recently. This will at least give me an idea of how this will be adapted and how I can manage the kayak-, balance, tipping etc. Ill let you know how this works...I am c5/6
    whitewater rafting is something i've wanted to try also. I mentioned Wilderness Adventures, which has excursions - camping, whitewater, kayak, horseback and many other outdoor sports. they have guides who have worked with disabled people, including some guides who are in chairs themselves. Ill have to look for more info if you are interested. (I have brochure around here somewhere).
    adaptivesports is great resource, i contacted them a few years ago when i wanted to go to crested butte...but i never ended up going!

Anyway.. hope you keep fruatration at bay. it does seem like such an arduous task sometimes just to do the simplest things! good luck!

How about white water rafting? Is it available in your area? It is a rush for an AB...I am sure it would be for someone in a chair.

Have you tried quad rugby (murder ball)?

(KLD)

Jmublue,

The downhill mntn biking is doable. Mods on the brakes are like car brakes - push a lever to stop not pull in with fingers. But since you're going for the rush who needs/wants brakes.

The people at Adaptive sports are awesome. They'll find a way to get you that rush you're looking for.

Like I said I'm venturing back into scuba diving with a trip to Bonaire (Dutch Antilles) in Sept. www.hsascuba.com

I'm also trying kayaking but still waiting for the hand to heal more.

Have you ever considered tendon transfer surgery to give you back grip? It's been 2 weeks since I was cleared for full intensity and its pretty awesome. Today for example I was able to drive my truck to work without (except for one tight turn - damn) using my quad tripeg thing. It's pretty amazing. About 20 lbs of grip so far (I flipped burgers on the grill last night ) and about 5 lbs of pinch - come here honey

You should try and hook up with your buddy in CB - maybe spend a week. If I had my choice I'd move there and play / workout all year.

Hey, and check out the two threads I found so far on motorcycles.