Thread: "Sausage incident" victim speaks out

"Sausage incident" victim speaks out

All she wanted was an autograph... Would you swing your bat at a sausage racing at you?

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp...2&nav=1ugFGrDT

"Sausage incident" victim speaks out

Pittsburgh Pirates player Randall Simon has become the talk of the sports world after hitting a sausage character with his bat during a Milwaukee Brewers game. However, the victim said Friday that the incident has been overblown.

University of Wisconsin-Madison student Mandy Block was dressed as a sausage and racing around the field when she was attacked. The bat hit the top of her costume, toppling her to the ground, then another racer fell over her.

Simon was removed from the stadium in handcuffs and cited for disorderly conduct. He's been fined $432. Meanwhile, Block said that she can't believe such a big deal has been made out of it.

"Actually, it just hit all stuffing, it hit no part of my body whatsoever. The costume is about seven and a half feet tall so it hit from anywhere above my head and the top of that," said Block.

Block said that she's not pressing charges - all she wants is an autograph from Simon.

News 2 at 4 pm

I saw the "incident" on television any number of times. She was racing in a large Hot Dog outfit against other Hot Dogs. It was a fun entertaining race for the crowds in Milwaukee and has been done for years. The player was out-of-line for tapping the sausage and should be disciplined (as he was) for not having any common sense (another variant of stupidity). OK? The real problem was that it was a slow news day and took place in time for the Prime Time "News." Dr. Young, the moral of the story is that the next time that you (or CR) have something for the news, pick the day and time verrrrry carefully. Maybe you should invite Mandy Block too.
    Carl

[This message was edited by carl on 07-12-03 at 09:59 AM.]

Originally posted by carl:

I saw the "incident" on television any number of times. She was racing in a large Hot Dog outfit against other Hot Dogs. It was a fun entertaining race for the crowds in Milwaukee and has been done for years. The player was out-of-line for tapping the sausage and should be disciplined (as he was) for not having any common sense (another variant of stupidity). OK? The real problem was that it was a slow news day and took place in time for the Prime Time "News." Dr. Young, the moral of the story is that the next time that you (or CR) have something for the news, pick the day and time verrrrry carefully. Maybe you should invite Mandy Block too.
    Carl

[This message was edited by carl on 07-12-03 at 09:59 AM.]
    I hope this ball player..the icon of many playing little league, understands what an ignorant thing he did.

Hope children don't think this is funny, and
    start assaulting Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    at Disneyland.

Pure ignorance IMO.

It was a stupid thing to do but he didnt mean any harm, it's not like he followed through when he swung the bat, he barely hit her. He did deserve to get punished though and im happy for the victim that she's not going to press charges. All she wants is an autograph(I would of done the same)

"Death has to be easy because life is so hard"

The player who swung the bat is an IDIOT.

Whether he "followed through" or not is besides the point. You don't swing a bat at anyone at anytime period.

A five game suspension and a $2,000 fine is what he received.

He's lucky the girl didn't take it (legally)further.

Carl, those weren't all hot dogs! It was a hot dog, bratwurst (go brats!), Polish sausage and an Italian sausage.

I remember when we used to get an automatic out if we threw the bat in PE. This is NOT sportsmenship kids should see. Glad they fined him and threw him out for a few games. If they hadn't he's padded between the legs during games so why not give Mandy a free swing too??

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."