Thread: Accessible cars in Winnipeg, Manitoba??

Accessible cars in Winnipeg, Manitoba??

I'm going to be spending ten days in Manitoba in the first week of August, and although my friends have offered to drive me around, I'd really like to have my own mode of transportation. Most of my friends live out in the country, so I'd like to visit them while I'm out there. Do any Manitobans know if there are rental cars available with hand controls?

Thanks!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

I've heard of at least one case where someone rented a Durango but i'm not sure from where or if it was just a regular one with temporary hand controls.
    I'd get in touch with CPA manitoba, they've got some good people there that should be able to help you out.

p.s. Where are you staying? just curious.

Hey Nate...

Thanks for the info. I'm staying south of Winnipeg, in between three towns, Rosa (I think that's how it's spelled, it's been AGES), Vita, and Caliento. I'm not sure if you've herad of any of them, because they are seriously tiny. I grew up in Vita, and the population at the time was 500. And my friends live in Rosa and Caliento, which basically is one street with a post office. Lol. Our main hangout was the town gas station cuz it had a slurpee machine.
    Vita is about 20 minutes away from Stuartburn on highway 201 and about 40 minutes away from Tolstoi and Dominion City. Dunno if that helps

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

The Western Canada Summer Games (the main reason I'm going to be in the province) are going to be held in Selkirk. From what I remember, that place was popular either for a high level security penetentiary, or a mental institution, and I'm curious where they're gonna put up all the athletes...lol.

I am not sure about Canada, but in the USA most of the "majors" (Hertz, Avis, etc.) have available rental cars with hand controls. You do need to reserve and arrange these in advance, as they may have to move a car from a different location to make it available for you. You should call the local big car rental companies to find out if they have something similar.

You could also check with the people putting on the event as they may already have made arrangements with a specific company.

Another option would be to invest in a set of removable hand controls for yourself that you can place on any car when traveling. I know quite a few people who do this and use theirs whereever they go.

(KLD)

I've heard of Vita, it's quite a ways south, you've got a lot of driving ahead of you.
    Selkirk is a steel town about half an hour to 45 minutes north of Winnipeg.
    Stony Mountain is the prison you're thinking of and I think Selkirk is relatively sane.

Vita's not that far away. I used to drive it every weekend when I was taking swimming lessons in Winnipeg at the Pan-Am. It's about an hour and half...whereabouts is MacGregor?

We live in Selkirk....40 min drive north of the Winnipeg Airport. Nate is right. Stoney Mountain has the pen. Selkirk does have a Provincial Mental Health Centre along with a steel foundry, great fishing, (catfish through spring and summer and walleye in the fall),Chuck the Channel CAT,(large statue of a catfish), a fine Marine Museum and co-host of the 2003 Western Canada Summer Games. My son's CPA rep, Colin Mathieson, is a world class athelete and will be here for the games. http://www.wpgfdn.org/dyk/dyk_show.p...age=dyk166.php

As for the original question,
    Enterprise car rentals..1-800-736-8222
    Budget......1-800-268-8900
    Thrifty...1-800-847-4389

Hope this helps and maybe we'll see you at the Games.
    lway

MacGregor is 45 minutes to an hour west of Winnipeg (depending on how you drive) right along the Trans Canada (#1) highway.

Colin is the guy that I thought might know about rentals with hand controls. You can find his email on cpa Manitoba's website.