Thread: handcycle question

handcycle question

My husband is a C5/6 quad, 33 years post injury. He keeps talking about needing to get more exercise, would something like this be beneficial, or possible for him to use?

I am a c-6 quad and love handcycling. I use a modified hand grip and use a bike with a coaster brake (back-pedal to stop). The toughest thing is transferring into it from my chair. My wife is able to help me with a transfer board. The best thing about it is that people don't know that you are disabled, they just think you have a really cool bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Conniek - Getting a handcycle is a fantastic idea. Does he have any use of his triceps? If so that's a big help. I have heard of many people hand pedaling with minimal tricep but not sure if it can be one with none. And finding flat places to pedal can be critical for us quads. Going up hills is difficult at best. Steep hills are impossible. Yet, this is like the number one recreation for me. I fell a LOT LESS disabled when pedaling around on my bike. Kinda like what Nick posted. It's great for sight-seeing. Much better than being in a car or a wheelchair, which are either too fast or too slow.

For real exercise, though, an FES bike can't be beat. It gives us a true cardio-vascular workout, can maintain bone density, helps improve the immune system, builds muscle tissue preventing pressue sores, etc, etc. It is realy the way to go. Check out the Exercise Forum for more details!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Hey Nick - Great photo! Do you mind if I add it to our member photo page?

Oh, btw, I made you an avatar in the Member Pictures Forum if you'd like to use it. Just add the following URL to your profile:

http://carecure.org/forum/attachment...tid=4231&stc=1

It looks like this:

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Thats a good pic! The guy looks like he is chasing you from the rehab clinic. STOP! were not done with you yet!

Nick, way to go.

Very cool.

hi!! i found this bike to do excercise without going out, both for arms and legs....this is the place, http://store.accesstr.com/page.cfm/PageID/44
    they also have all kind of bykes....
    i hope this helps....

berny.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good picture Nick, its funny, looks like the guy in the background is trying to chase you down, lol. Handcycles are great though, they are a major part of my life at this point.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred