Thread: Activities In Seattle?

Activities In Seattle?

Hi guys,
    I don't know any disabled person in Seattle? I was wondering if there is a group that meets regularly? or do you know any activities for wheelchair users around here? Sports, entertainment, etc.....?

I am 23 male. T-6. Student in Seattle Pasific University..

Check out the support groups at the nearest model SCI center which for you is:

Washington

Northwest Regional SCI System
    http://depts.washington.edu/rehab/sci/
    Diana D. Cardenas, M.D.
    Department of Rehab Medicine
    Box 356490
    Seattle, WA 98195
    206-543-8171 / 206-685-3244 (Fax)
    DIANAMAC@U.WASHINGTON.EDU

Or swing on over there and chat up their rec therapist.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Also contact the PVA chapter in Washington. They have an active wheelchair sports program and are also connected to many local/community programs:

Northwest PVA Chapter
    616 SW 152nd Street, Suite B
    Burien, WA 98166

Phone (206) 241-1843
    (800) 336-9782

Fax (206) 433-0749

E-Mail pvachnw@mindspring.com

(KLD)

seattle

Hi, we live in Bellevue. Do you know about ski-for-all? They have a lot of stuff going on, including sailing, handcycling and skiing. My husband has a c/6 incomplete injury since March of 2001 and I know he'd be glad to talk with you if we could get hooked up. How long have you lived here?

Hi Kate,
    I am sorry I haven't seen your reply before ( I was out of States for a long time..) I would like to be in contact.. Does your husband do any kind of sports? also can you tell me more about ski-for-all , I am still looking for activities, especially sailing would be great

Thanks

Beos, I'm Bruce, Kate's husband. Here's some more info about activities I'm involved in:

For sailing, the best organization is Footloose. They do daysails, racing and a bunch of other activities. They have moorage at Leschi Marina on Lake Washington. Things with them won't get going until April sometime.

Kate mentioned Skiforall. They started doing adaptive skiing but have branched out into many other activities. I'm taking sitski lessons with them right now .. big fun!

Seneca mentioned the UW. They have a monthly meeting called the SCI Forum. I usually am there. This month the topic is vaguely recreational .. it's about sex after SCI
    They did a forum about Recreation a couple of months ago .. there may be some useful links for you there. Maybe I'll see you there or somewhere .. I'm tall and walk with crutches.

- Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the information.... These will be very helpful. (I am really interested in the events especially interested in sailing.. ) I try to join the forums too....
    hopefully I will see you around,

A few words of warning re:SkiforAll. It's pricey!! There are various forms of financial aid available, but in order to make use of these, you need to get involved much before the activity you actually want to do (participate in fundraisers, etc). I think that's great, but it doesn't work out in all situations. I had a bout of bad health from July-December, didn't know when it would end. I felt better in jan, but it was too late to do anything for ski season, even though the season was just starting. Very disapointing.