Thread: Celebration, Florida

Celebration, Florida

anyone been there? what about accessibility? I'm trying to pool together some thoughts... I have friends who are moving down there.

it's an odd concept of a town... almost a Disney-created utopian community.

www.celebrationfl.com

It is picture perfect! literally, like going back in time. Every house we saw had a front porch, all the garages were detached and approached from an alley behind the house. There were sidewalks everywhere, very flat terraine, street lights, little parks with benches, ball fields. It was about 5 years ago that I drove around this charming town with my 15 year old daughter in the car. If memory serves they had their own schools, hospital, post office, restaurants, etc. Then we tried to leave to return to our hotel... oh my, did I have a hard time. I kept getting turned around and repeatedly ended up at the same toll booth until I was down to my last dime, then I asked a very polite teenager for directions. She was walking home on a brighly lit, family friendly street. It was almost too perfect - I feared we had stumbled into Stepford and any minute Katherine Ross would appear in her long dress, hat and heels. We still talk about that night. It is adjacent to Kissimee, FL. (sp?) which is a bit of a rude awakening, but Alison and I felt like we were on a grand adventure.

It is a little to perfect as far as I am concerned, I would not want to live there. And then with all the tourists riding past looking at your house all the time, it would get old pretty quick, at least for the way I am. It is a cool town to visit though, but I would not want to live there.

Another cool place is a town in Florida Called "Seaside" this is located in northwest florida about 30 miles west of Panama City. This was the town they used in the Movie "The Trueman show" It is like no town I have been in before, it has a really community feel to it, plus has a beautiful beach area. I ride my Handcycle through there everyday.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curtis, curious to see if you know of any cottages/houses for rent in the Panama City to Destin area which are wheelchair accessible? I have been looking for a place close to the beach just to go for a week for vacation. There seem to be a lot of hotels/condominiums which are wheelchair accessible, but not many houses for rent?

Just did a search, came up with this one http://www.vrbo.com/4277 Grayton beach is real nice and close to Seaside Also found this one http://www.hibiscusflorida.com/bertsbarn.html

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[This message was edited by Curtis on 02-01-03 at 23:34.]

Thanks Curtis. What did you use to do the search or did you know about these places already? The first one is very nice, sleeps 26, but I have no need for something that big.