Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to greece.....

Traveling to greece.....

At least I hope to but I need to find out a lot of things!!!! I really want to go to athens in 2004 for the paralympics, as a spectator of course! I was hoping maybe some of you could shed some insight to a few things for me cause most likely I will be traveling alone. I am a 24 year old female T-11 paraplegic, I can do most things for myself if I know I will have a bathroom I can get to with a working pot. I have nooo clue what the accessibility is like over there, what their pots are like, I know australias was different when I went there. Ummm, I know they are going to make the athlete village accessible but I can't stay there, and probably make some of the surrounding hotels accessible for the families but I'm not sure I could stay there if they are for the families and all. It'd be kinda scary, I mean they dont even speak same language but I really want to do go and was hoping someone here could help me out? I'd be happy with any help I can get............Lexi

I wanted to do this too...I haven't looked into everything yet though. I'm interested to hear others thoughts, and I'll let you know if I find anything out.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Lexi

wow, you sound fairly independent.

Maybe you will generate enough interest to get a group of ladies to go together. Might be more fun.

But good luck!

Russ Byrd

I am also planning on going.

I'm starting to gather information now. As soon as I know something I will post the information.

I think Athens would be awesome!

Onward and Upward!

Sounds great! Here is a link that has some info that might be of use:

http://gogreece.about.com/cs/disabledtravel/

My daughter, Karen, is trying to qualify to participate in the Paralympics in Athens in the sport of Equestrian Dressage representing Canada. She was formerly in the equestrian sport of 3-day eventing until her accident 14 months ago (same sport as CR was injured in).

Canada hopes to send a team to Belgium in September to try to qualify. Unfortunately, the Canadians only ride borrowed horses because it is too expensive to fly their own horses over there, putting them at a disadvantage against the Europeans with their own expensive Warmblood horses. Even so, Karen placed 5th in Portugal a few months ago on a borrowed Portugal Military horse. If she goes, we WILL be there!

The Paralympic motto is "It's ability that counts, not disability"!

Hope to see you there!

Darlene

Karen's mom. Great for your daughter.

But do you have any information concerning travel, lodging, etc. in Athens?

That's what we're looking for.

Thanks.

Onward and Upward!

Hi Chris and Others,

I just found this website and under "2004 Services" it lists information on Transportation, Accommodation, etc. I haven't had a chance to read it but it looks like there is a lot of information there. It is:

www.athens.olympic.org

Hope it has the information you are looking for.

Darlene

KM, Thank you.

Onward and Upward!

Thanks everyone

for all your replies.............