Thread: aisle chair

aisle chair

hi.
    I did talk w/ my travel agent about aisle chair for flight but she has no clues about it, she also told I need doctor's approval letter for flight. My trip required 2 carrier, AA and Asiana Airline. Do I need to call these carriers in advance and request assistance needs or I just come to the gate and them what I need. to tell in advance when should I need to call before I flight. If I need to call my travel agent again, what I need to tell her. thanks

andy m nguyen

Flight

Sorry, not sure what you're talking about. But I would call the airlines, tell them what you need. Surely they would all have an aisle chair, but check. Get the name of who you talk to, people give better info if they think they're being held accountable. Are you flying alone? Power or manual chair? If alone, be careful when they transfer you. BOSS THEM. If you have a foldable manual chair, you can keep it in the plane w/ you. I prefer this, I'm afraid of a broken chair at the end of the road if I check it as luggage. There are people in the airport whose job it is to get those who need help from one gate to another when changing planes. Ask the crew to let the airport you're flying towards to let them know you'll be arriving there. Betheny

Just call the airline you are flying with and let them know you use a wheelchair and will require an aisle chair and assistance in transferring and making connections. Then once you are through security go to the gate and remind the assistant there.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Flying

Doesn't sound like your TA has a clue...you do not need a physician's letter to fly or get assistance from the airline. Keep in mind that foreign airlines may be less used to this than American lines.

Call ahead to the airline and be sure to speak to a reservation supervisor. Don't be surprised though that the gate agent is clueless when you show up...they rarely get any information from reservations. Be sure you arrive at the gate at least 1 hour before the flight, and speak to the gate agent immediately. You need to be sure you get a seat with a flip up arm (not all have this) and you are entitled to have this seat switched by the gate agent if this was not already arranged. Bulk head seats are only required if you cannot bend your knees, and the armrests do not flip up on these seats.

If you need to be lifted, let the gate agent know, and let them know if it will take one or two to lift you. We take two gait belts (one around the chest, one around the thighs) to make this easier, otherwise they try to grab you by the arms. Training of "lifters" varies by airline and airport.

You are entitled to have someone (friend, attendant) accompany you past security to the gate if needed (if they are not traveling with you), and your attendant traveling with you (if you require one)cannot be separated from you on the plane unless you OK it.

Gate check your own chairs at the door of the plane, although you can request to take a small folding manual chair inside the cabin and this must be accomodated unless someone elses wheelchair is already there. The cabin attendants often have their own stuff there...not allowed if you need it.

Be sure when arriving that you notify the cabin attendant that you will need lifting (by how many) and the aisle chair and that you have a gate checked chair(s) at least 1/2 hour out of your destination (or any connecting airports) as well. Don't let the cabin attendant leave until the aisle chair and lifters show up...we have been left behind with the cabin cleaners before...

Your travel agent should inform the airline when making reservations. Select a seat on the aisle that is as close to the door as possible.

Inform the airline personnel again when you arrive at the gate.

does aisle chair fit bathroom

does aisle chair fit bathroom in the airplane, I like to empty my urine bag in the bathroom if possible? Do we really have aisle chair while inflight?

andy m nguyen

Most planes will have an aisle seat on the plane, but the cabin attendants will NOT lift you into it so if you cannot do a transfer on to it totally by yourself, I would recommend a different plan.

It is virtually impossible to actually get onto the toilet from an aisle chair unless you can stand to transfer. Many people empty their leg bag into the air sickness bag and give this to the cabin attendant to discard, or take a urinal or empty soda bottle to empty into and have their travel companion take to the bathroom. Are you traveling alone?

(KLD)

aisle chair and aisle seat bowl movement

I am c4 incomplete quad, I walk w/ walker anf AFOs at home hrs/day (average 30 min each session). how sci people get into aisle seat w/o help of attendant? and when should I call airline reps before I flight? I worry about calling too eearly and they forget. I now flight with my brother but in return trip I be flight alone because I stay in Vietnam longer than my brother. I dont want to rely on my family for help and I dont want to prove to my mom that I can flight alone. Do you think I can flight by myself w/ help from airline reps and flight attendant?
    my flight schedule Dallas to LAX by american airline 3hr, LAX to Korea by Asian airlines 10hrs, Korean to vietnam Asian airlines 6 hrs
    I dont do bowl program because I can void by myself, i have constipation. w/ drug like stool softener my bowel just like normal people. I am worry about having bowl movement during flght. If i dont eat I am Ok. how you think?

andy m nguyen

Bathroom on the plane

If you can stand with your AFOs, then it should be easy to get onto the aisle chair by yourself. This would include getting to the bathroom on the aisle chair during the flight, and on and off the aisle chair to get in and out of the plane. You may even walk to your seat using the seats and your walker if you prefer. If you have a folding walker it can be stored overhead, otherwise you will need to gate check it with your wheelchair.

If you need assistance on the ground, the airlines provides this, but you do have to direct them EXACTLY in how to do it.

I doubt you will have any problems. It sounds like there is really no reason you cannot fly by yourself.

(KLD)