Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: my cruise in the Baltic

Other ships

We have been on the Ryndam, and will be going on the Statendam (identical ship)next spring round trip from San Diego to Hawaii. Lots of sea days, which we enjoy as we don't have to rush around to get going in the morning.

The cheaper handicapped cabins are smaller than on Celebrity or Princess, esp. the bathrooms (even with the roll-in shower), and not in as good a location. We did use the tender-lift, which is nice for getting from the ship onto the tender, but you must give at least a day's notice that you will need to use it, and there is no guarantee that you will find it easy getting off the tender shore-side.

In general, I prefer Celebrity and Princess over HAL, but we wanted to take this trip, so we are going on HAL again.

(KLD)

Clipper, if you don't mind, what does the book say about the " rhapsody of the seas " by Royal Caribbean? I think it is better as they have more information about the ship on the Web site.

What do most of you do when you have bought tickets in the past: buy directly or through a travel agent? I see a lot of great deals on the Internet, but there is no way to choose a wheelchair accessible room when booking most of the packages. Anybody know a website which has this option or will let you book a particular room number?

* I have talked to my wife and she thinks we can handle the trip if we could leave from Galveston. Sue, We might try New Orleans at some point, but it would make life much easier and less hassle if we can get this Galveston ship to work. And I still have not been able to talk my wife into flying yet.

Carl, I understand completely! Going to Baltimore is so easy on us that this will truly be a vacation. When we went to Canada we were supposed to leave from NYC and then due to 9-11 they moved that to Boston. The drive was so long we both started out tired. We had gone up to NYC though for the circus earlier in the year and Jay checked out the Port area to decide if it would be easier and cheaper to drive and pay for parking or to take the train. Plenty of parking at the Port of New York so we had decided to drive. That and with the train, which we took on that trip to also check out, you have to haul bags and then hassle with a bus or cab. With Baltimore our house and dog sitter will drive us up and back. Should take 30 minutes each way. :-) And we haven't flown either.

I also tried to book a cruise through one of the resale cheap places and I couldn't find a way to request a specific cabin either. Most the websites for the specific lines have pretty decent layouts so you can choose ahead of time and then call through to the line direct or use an agent. If you can find a quote for cheaper than what the line will give you in the same category I would imagine they will try and match it if you ask. I looked at the RC site and their deck plans are too tiny to tell what is what. I'd email or call hem and ask for a brochure immediately if you want to go soon. Most the HP rooms will be right next to elevators in center ship (no water locks so if there are icebergs in Cozumel you're a goner..). This is their Accessible Seas info area:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/asp/rc...p?s=A9036FEDD1

Clipper, does that book have layouts for all the lines? If it does I'm buying one too. Oh, did you have to do the lifeboat drill too? I decided that if the ship starts to sink I'm heading straight up on the elevator to the highest bar.

For Carl

RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS:
    Entered service: 1997
    WC accessible cabins: 14
    Elevators: 9
    Cabin current: 110/220-volt
    Accessibility rating: B

By the way, the book says that the Celebration and Jubilee do NOT have wheelchair-accessible public restrooms, and both ships have steel lips in the entrance to all cabin bathrooms.

What do most of you do when you have bought tickets in the past: buy directly or through a travel agent? I see a lot of great deals on the Internet, but there is no way to choose a wheelchair accessible room when booking most of the packages. Anybody know a website which has this option or will let you book a particular room number?
    I booked directly through Holland America on my recent cruise. It just seemed like less could go wrong that way. Sometimes the good deals you see on the Internet are for a category that does not have wheelchair-accessible cabins. I've never dealt with a brick-and-mortar travel agent, but I've heard that in many cases they can get you a lower price. If you see a deal on the Internet, try to get the cruise line to match it, like Sue suggested.

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton:

Clipper, does that book have layouts for all the lines? If it does I'm buying one too. Oh, did you have to do the lifeboat drill too? I decided that if the ship starts to sink I'm heading straight up on the elevator to the highest bar.
    Unfortunately, this book does not have deck plans. But it does have at least two full pages on every ship. Yeah, I did the lifeboat drill. I needed help tying my vest, so a member of the crew did the honors. He tied it around the back of my chair. I don't think the vest would have been much help with that arrangement! Just get me to the bar, put a drink in my hand (with straw) and I'll watch.