Thread: field target shooting using high velocity air guns

field target shooting using high velocity air guns

its a sport more common in europe than here in the states. basic principles are as follows. each shooter gets two shots at a different target that resembles a game animal, i.e, bird, squirrel, rat, badger, deer, etc. these targets are set at greater distances. between 12-75 yds.(10-68 metres) target area or bulls eye are no larger than an 1.25" inch., or 3.10 centimtres.

the guys i shoot with are those who wish to preserve wildlife, rather than to take it. I personally use Webley & Scott (axor) fx 2000 22. cal 4.5 mil. it has muzzle velociy greater than 800 fps. (243 mps). Being a quad i actually have had no modifications to the rifle. I just make it work.

DJU

I have a cheapo pellet/BB rifle (Crosman 760) which is not accurate enough for serious shooting, but I have a lot of fun with casual target shooting. No noise or recoil to speak of. This is a nice way for someone to try the shooting sports without committing a lot of money up front. I also have a Winchester 30/30 carbine and several shotguns that I have not yet attempted to fire. I'm a C5 partial quad with total paralysis from the armpits down. With no stomach or lower back muscles to help absorb the recoil, I'm a little worried that I might damage my shoulder. How do any of you deal with this, or should I just stick with the pellet gun?

Air guns

Air gun target shooting is an event at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, and participants include all levels of SCI. Here are some photos from last year:

http://www.pva.org/NEWPVASITE/newsro...es/21games.htm

(KLD)