Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Commode

Travel Commode

Chris some time ago posted a link to Nuprodx for a foldable and flexible travel commode. However, the price shown at the site to configure a drop arm foldable commode with a transfer section to double as a shower bench plus the travel case is about $950. Am I misreading the pricing? Does anyone know of alternative sources for this product with a more reasonable price?

Craig, sorry but I don't know of any traveling commode chairs, that are as compact and efficient as Nuprodx as well as cheaper.

You can always check out medical device catalogs like www.sportaid.com for a foldable E&J chair or something similar that may be less expensive.

Good luck.

Onward and Upward!

Try the exchange forum

If you know what you want you can always buy it second hand. Every newspaper has a section where handicap-adaptive equipment is being sold.

"And so it begins."

lummex makes a commode device...

The thing attached onto a regular commode and allows the "reach" thing. COsts about 70 bucks ... I think.... maybe a little more. It is padded.

About the only defect is that if you mount the thing on a "handicapped" commode which already pretty tall, then by the time you transfer onto the thing, you feel like you ought to yodle.

Call rehab specialties and ask them about the thing. It is a raised travel toilet seat. 713-791-1011

Hey Craig,
    Our family likes to travel...my son is a t12 para..anyway, I spoke with the Nuprodx guy on the phone once..to see if he would give me a "non-insurance rate"..he wouldn't budge..I was very disappointed since he too was in a chair..I thought he would sympathize with all of the out-of-pocket expenses that insurance won't cover...I finally had the idea to buy an Activaid toilet chair model 101RTS....I took it to a neighbor who owns a metal fabricator shop and had it modified....he made it portable for us..the legs now fold in, and he put metal pins to insert when the legs are in use so it is stablized and strong... the size is just the size of the actual toilet seat....do you have a metal shop or welder near you? We just had this done..and will be travelling in May..I think it is going to work out perfect...we are excited that we beat the $950 bill. Hope this gets your wheels turning..for an alternative.
    Best of luck, Terry
    We are going to the beach for the first time since my son was injured...any suggestions for getting him into the ocean? He is 22 and won't even consider those big beach wheel looking chairs...(OH NO,I forgot to look at the post date...(new to the forum, Hope someone finds this advice hopeful)
    Last edited by thaggard57; 04-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.

I know some people who have used a ratty old used wheelchair for getting into the water. Nearly impossible to get over loose sand though, and the sand will quickly damage the bearings. Saltwater of course will be very corrosive to anything that can rust or corrode. A good rinse with fresh water after use will help somewhat.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by thaggard57
    We are going to the beach for the first time since my son was injured...any suggestions for getting him into the ocean? He is 22 and won't even consider those big beach wheel looking chairs...
    This is off topic so lets start a new thread if there are any responses to this but...

I would sooner die than give up being on the beach and getting into the ocean. I too was pretty adamantly opposed to the beach chairs. Instead, I bought a set of Colours Fatso tires and had a few very minor modifications made to my TiLite chair so that they could be interchangeable. Works wonderfully. They are a bit bulky to travel with (not terible - i put them in a hockey equipment bag) but definitely beats traveling with a whole other chair.

The tires are still big of course but at least I am still in my regular chair. I've attached a pic and can probably dig up some more if you like. And yes, KDL couldn't be more right about the salt water eating away at your chair. Thorough rinsing/cleaning is crucial.
    Last edited by daveh0; 04-28-2008 at 01:32 PM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

daveh,
    thanks so much for the picture...I will ck into the tires...what about the caster wheels didn't they dig into the sand...? or did you wheely down to the water?

also,what did you do to modify your chair?? We are very mechanically challeged !! I am sure we could do it if you told us what you did...thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by thaggard57
    daveh,
    thanks so much for the picture...I will ck into the tires...what about the caster wheels didn't they dig into the sand...? or did you wheely down to the water?
    Casters are the 1 problem with my setup. Yes, you have to wheely across the sand. Being a quad with limited upperbody strength, I usually have someone pushing me (at the beach) anyway so it doesn't present too much of an issue for me personally. But I believe you can get larger/wider casters that are mounted on their own forks and stems that could be interchangeable as well (depending on how easily your current casters will pop out). Someone in the equipment forum may have some insight there.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***