Thread: Antibiotic catheters

Antibiotic catheters

Hi, I read an article in one of the SCI magazines about catheters that were "impregnated" with antibiotics to cut down on UTI's. Anyway I've misplaced the article and its time for me to re-order supplies. Does anyone know where to get these at? Who makes them, a vendor in Tennessee, etc? I have two types of insurance. BlueCross & UnitedHealthCare, I want to stick to a manufacturer and or supplier who accepts insurance. Thanks. studebaker911@hotmail.com

I think what you are referring to is the Rochester Release NF catheter. It is impregnated with controlled release nitrofuarzone (a relative of Macrodantin,Macrobid). At the present time it is only available as a foley to my knowledge. I did talk with the company a couple of months ago and they said there is plans to come out with an IC of the same type. Not sure if it has been released yet. The company is Rochester Medical Corporation, Stweartville, Minnesota. 1-800-243-3315. Hope this helps. (EMK)

Rochester Anitbacterial Catheter

Judging from the picture I've seen, it's a straight catheter, not a foley. It's listed at Medaid at $30.00 for a box of 30.

http://www.medaidmedical.com/page60a.htm

Coated catheters

So far, the Rochester Personal anti-bacterial coated silicon straight catheter (both 14 inch and 6 inch) are the only catheters coated with a solution containing nitrofurdantoin. They plan to come out with a Foley and plastic straight version of this catheter later this year.

Bard and Rochester also make silver coated Foley catheter. I am most familiar with the Bard version (Bardex IC). Studies have shown that this catheter can reduce the incidence of UTI in acute hospital settings with short term use, but to date no studies have looked at anyone using an indwelling catheter of this type for more than 20 consecutive days. We don't know its effectiveness with chronic long term use. It is significantly more expensive than a Teflon or Silastic coated catheter or even a silicon catheter.

(KLD)

anti-biotic catheter

hi, i was given or purchased for 18.00 the silver coated catheter(FOLEY) 10 days after insertion and a healthy urinary tract--repeat culture after iv anti-biotics---i got another infection. it is usually every 4-6 weeks no matter what i do. my infectious disease doc was hopeful it would help for a couple of months at least. because it is still experimental meant right now only for hospital use they are not covered by insurance--at least not medicare. i was very disappointed with it. my doc is recommending surgical intervention but i am not ready to do that just yet. for me he was concerned about giving me the anti-biotic caoted catheter for fear of further resistance. hope this helps. kathy

Antibacterial Personal Catheter

Ok, I got my first shipment today. Apparently they are available from any medical supply company, and are quite often used. They are manufactured by the Rochester Medical Corporation Stewartville, MN 55976 Phone 1-800-243-3315, www.rocm.com. They are covered by most respectable insurance. They are not Foleys, they are single use catheters, gold tipped clear plastic. The only question I would have about them is, would they cause you to build a resistance to the antibiotic over time, and how long would it take? I just had a bladder augmentation, where my bladder was enlarged with part of my colon & a new urethra was formed about 3" below my belly button. Supposedly this is supposed to cut down on UTI's. I'll keep you informed of the results, although it is extremely easy to self cath now. So far one side effect has been the disruption of my bowel routine, I went from having....well for the lack of a better term, fairly hard stool in the morning...to very loose movements approximately 3 times a day, this is not acceptable & hopefully will revert back to the old way soon.