Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand cycle

hand cycle

OK, so my interest has been piqued by earlier posts about hand cycles. I have only ever seen pictures of them...never heard from someone who had used one before. Sounds like a blast!! Question for those that have one...How hard is it to get into one, especially if the seat leans (Freedom Ryder design)?

Here is where I got my bike it is an action. I never had one before either and tthe guy who owns Bike-On.com was very helpful and friendly. Send him an email aand I'm sure he will call you and ask you some question to point you in the right direction.

handcycles

Hi, if you like, email me at d.mcv@verizon.net with some questions you may have and I mighjt be able to help you. Donald
    Originally posted by ptamom:

OK, so my interest has been piqued by earlier posts about hand cycles. I have only ever seen pictures of them...never heard from someone who had used one before. Sounds like a blast!! Question for those that have one...How hard is it to get into one, especially if the seat leans (Freedom Ryder design)?

I use the Quickie Shadow Mach III

and it is very easy to handle, transfers included. I routinely "eat out" by traveling to nearby restaurants for breakfast or lunch. For what it is worth, the design and seating position is not "for racing" like several other bikes are set up. Hope this helps

There are many different kinds of handcycles, each adapted to different levels of ability and need. I have an XLT 2000, which I also got from bike-on.com (Scott is a wealth of information and extremely friendly), which requires quite a manuever from my chair to the bike. The problem is it doesn't have a handbrake, which means I have to hold onto my chair and the bike and hope that one doesn't move while I am transferring. My bike is low to the ground, so getting out can be tough until you practice a lot (I have a fully fused spine so I have no flexibility in my back). None of these are big problems, though, and the freedom and exercise of biking more than makes up for any the inconvenience.

Now all I have to figure out how in the world I am going to get on and off my bike now that I am pregnant! Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch everyone. I will e-mail Scott and see what he has to say.
    I think that this may be a new sport for me. Wow.

ptamom

The Shopping Channel has a hand cycle called the Oxycycle item # 277-930. It sells for $126.96 cdn. You can have this mounted on a table and just wheel up to it. You can order it online. www.tsc.ca

Sorry, after re-reading your post, I don't think this is what you are looking for. This is a stationary hand cycle.

Hand Cycle

I got in a accident with my hand cycle on June 4th, and I havent used it since because I'm affraid that I will chash it again, it crashed because the breaks were not working and and I blackedout right before I hit the poll. hpblair@hotmail.com

Kathryn N. Blair

[This message was edited by Kathryn on Jun 21, 2002 at 02:43 PM.]

Kathryn, I posted your picture on the member's page and, just in case the procedure was not clear, I created an avatar from your picture and put it into your profile so that the picture would appear next to your postings. If you don't want it to show, you can easily remove it from your profile. Wise.

My pic

Thank you!

Kathryn N. Blair