Thread: camping

camping

Hi everyone. I want to know if there are any others out there in chairs who still like to traditional camp ie. tent and sleeping bag. I am a paraplegic and have a lot of upperbody strength. I am looking at different tents right now and wondered what everyone elses experiences are. Thanks a bunch.

Hey Parapete!

I love camping, we just booked our fishing trip for july. But no way can my bod handle a tent trip no more, I was so sore last time I swore I'd never do it again, I was sore the whole trip. We still do everything else the same except the tent, we get a li'l cabin instead, then I can really enjoy myself. Wouldn't mind picken up a camper for the truck one day though, more in-bush choices that way. Have fun!

Hi! My hubby and I go camping all the time! He's a para, too - L1/2 incomplete. While he does have incredible upper body strength, time marches on and things that were once so easy are suddenly not so easy anymore ... know what I mean? But that doesn't stop us from camping, which we love! This year we're looking into buying one of those tents that "sets up" in 2 minutes -- you know, you just fling it out, it lands on its feet, and you hammer the stakes in. And as for the sleeping bag thing --- we have a queen size air mattress that rests on an accordian-type thingy (like those accordian-folding chairs everybody has these days for outdoors). Its exactly the height of my hubby's chair, and transferring is a piece of cake. I recommend this bed to one and all! We got the set -- folding frame and air mattress -- last year at Wal-Mart for about $70.00 or so. Our dog loves it, and spends her days dozing on it...! But then, she hates camping, and whimpers by the truck, waiting for someone to open the door for her ... so that we can go home!

Good luck!

;o)

WandaSue

Thank you very much, both of you, for the help. I am going to look into one of those beds at walmart.

one more idea... and then a question of my own.

I am still doing some yearly camping with a scout troop at "summer camp." Which means we use the customary two-man wall tents and some sort of cot type bed.

I have found that getting around the campsite in a crankcycle is sooooo much easier than doing the same thing in wheelchair. I keep the wheelchair at the tent door and transfer to it before going into the tent.

On the subject of camping, the one thing that keeps me from really attacking the sport in true wilderness camping is... I can't figure how to do bowel programs. I prefer to use regular digital stimulation and I just don't see the deed being done, then followed by bathing clean up.

Any comments from those with personal experience???