Thread: SA wheelchair star wins Boston Marathon title

SA wheelchair star wins Boston Marathon title

SA wheelchair star wins Boston Marathon title

April 15 2002 at 09:27PM

Ernst van Dyk is arguably South Africa's greatest marathoner of all time - except he doesn't even run.

This powerful man from Stellenbosch is a wheelchair athlete, and on Monday night he successfully defended his title in the wheelchair race at the 106th Boston Marathon.

The 29-year-old Paralympian established himself as the world's dominant wheelchair athlete by winning in an unofficial time of 1hr 23min 19sec, which was just outside the course record of 1:21,23 that has stood since 1994.

Van Dyk, who tuned up for the defence of his title by winning the Los Angeles Marathon last month, led from start to finish in a race that was contested in cool, foggy, overcast conditions.

The South African, competing in a custom-made chair, got the better of the quality field by stepping on the gas from the gun.

His intention was not only to go for the course record, but also the world record, but the conditions were against him.

"I really wanted a tailwind, but there was no wind at all," he said afterwards.

"It was my plan to get away from the start, and maybe I tried too hard. But I will definitely be back next year to go for the hat trick and the course record.

"I trained long and hard for this race and had a lot of sleepless nights."

Van Dyk, who won the world's oldest marathon last year in a time of 1:25,12, already owns four world records over shorter distances and was eager to add the 42,2km mark to his collection.

This was his third appearance in the Boston event.

Van Dyk, who last year became the first man to dip under 19 minutes for 10km with his victory in the famous Peachtree race in Atlanta, Georgia, was born without legs and part of his right arm.

Switzerland's Edith Hunkeler won the women's wheelchair race for the first time in her sixth attempt.

Dude's

A stud.

A strong and fast mofo.

1hr, 23mins! That's flying!

Onward and Upward!