Thread: Hockey Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Wildwilly, I think you mean shutout, right? No goals let in?

Playing hockey is bloody expensive but I don't know how long I can keep my kid out of it. Here we have outdoor rinks and skating areas in every park and he is there EVERY DAY after school for hours. I take him up to a rink by my house when he's here and he plays shimmy with the university kids. He's spending most of the time playing catch-up because they're twice his size but he learns. He would go nuts if he got to play in the Bell Centre.

Anyhoo... 2-0 Mtl after 1!
    and I think you mean shinny.

great game last night. Price is definitely worth a first-round draft pick. But he really picked up his game in front of his British Columbia family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly View Post
    Growing up in Texas you do not get a lot of ice time. However my 7 year old son gets plenty here in Michigan. I very proud of him to say the least. He and my wife are Big Red Wing Fans (I like the Stars but I keep that to myself). They had tournament this weekend and he had 2 shout-outs. What was really cool was playing their last game at the Yost (University of Michigan's Arena). I just wish I would have known how expensive playing goalie is! Anyway, I told him he is very lucky. He has now got to play a full ice play off game at Joe Louis and the Yost!
    I was a Red Wing fan growing up as well. The Gordie Howe days, not that I'm that old. Growing up, I always wanted to play at the Olympia in Detroit.

you and Christopher are blessed to have little hockey munchkins in the house. I love watching them play. Must be extra special for you guys, regardless of cost.

Shimmy, shinny... it all sounds the same in French

I am not a real big hockey fan but I like to watch the UMaine black bears hockey team GO BEARS. My husband is a big Ducks fan. He played hockey in high school and college and still plays for fun and played in a few charites games with his old fire dept. back in Maine. They would play for MDA (Jerry's Kids) They would play the cops. Firefighters held the record with most game wins 5-2

After seeing that hit on Max Pacioretty last night, I think I'm gonna be encouraging my kid to play soccer!

go Stars!
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    After seeing that hit on Max Pacioretty last night, I think I'm gonna be encouraging my kid to play soccer!
    Football has gotten a bad rap from concussions. Stories of football players getting depressed and committing suicide at an early age because of severely damaged brains are very scary. Now with the upsurge in concussions in hockey, I have friends who are keeping their kids out of that sport as well.

Funny how a well meaning rule like keeping the hooking and holding out of hockey has had the consequence of allowing smaller and smaller players in the League, playing against the same giants we've always had in the sport. That's the way I see the Chara hit last night. If Pacioretty had been playing against like-sized opponents, it would not have been such a severe impact.

Eh, it was a terrible outcome of a common hit. If Pacioretty had been hit anywhere else on the ice he would have jumped back up and rejoined play.

The real question is did Chara intentionally hit him into the edge of the glass or wait to hit him until they got to the edge of the glass? Why didn't Chara check him sooner?

Judge for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJ0Ca6SIj8

If only the canucks knew how to play hockey in the post season.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

My sons hockey teams this year...