Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me ideas - planning trip for across the south

Give me ideas - planning trip for across the south

My wife and I are interested in doing a leisurely trip across the south in the winter. We may take a couple months to do this year or next. Anyone have ideas for where to visit is greatly appreciated. I am familiar with Florida but otherwise little else. We are in to historical things and we like to inland fish. Really like national parks also. I drive from my wheelchair so not interested in mountain driving.

What months? Starting and ending when? Where will you stay? Motels? High end or? Mexico too?

You do know that in much of the Southern USA it gets pretty cold in the winter, right?

Just a few suggestions:
    Drive the Natchez Trace from Tennessee to Natchez, MS. Many historic places to visit on the Trace, and it is a beautiful rural drive. Visit Natchez, and go on to Vicksburg to visit the Civil War sites there. Drive from there on the Mississippi side of the river to Baton Rouge, and then take the bridge over to New Orleans. Spend a few days here with good food, some good jazz, etc. Best to avoid Mardi Gras though as it is very crowded.

Visit Austin in Texas for good food, good music, and to see the bats.

Northern New Mexico requires some mountain driving, but it is not a real twisty-turny road if you stick to the interstate. You are also like to get snow in areas like Taos and even Santa Fe, less likely in Albuquerque or further south such as in Truth or Consequences, NM.

Drive across AZ and go to both Tucson and Phoenix. Further north (Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon) can get snow, but if you don't mind that, you can go there too. Phoenix has the wonderful Heard Museum (Native American art). Tucson is close to Kartchner Caverns, which does have a wheelchair accessible tour available. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park in Tucson are wonderful. If you drive between Tucson and Phoenix you can stop to see Casa Grande Ruins National Monument (Native American ruins).

Driving from Tucson to San Diego or Phoenix to LA are pretty boring drives through desert with a lot speed traps in AZ. If coming from Tucson, you can stop in Yuma to visit the Territorial Prison (museum), and if you are lucky to arrive in Southeast California in March/early April, and if there has been a wet winter, the wildflowers in Anza-Borrego State Park can be spectacular. There is a mountain range to cross from there to San Diego, but again, it is freeway driving if you don't go through Julian.

San Diego of course has their world-famous Zoo, and Safari Park (40 miles north), Old Town State Park, museums in Balboa Park, beaches (free rental of beach wheelchairs, although too cold to actually get in the water before summer), Birch Aquarium, and Cabrillo National Monument. I personally don't go to or recommend Sea World, but it is there too. If you are into wine, the Temecula wine country about 60 miles north of San Diego is worth a visit.

If you go to LA, both the Getty Center and the Getty House Museum (two separate locations) are wonderful, free, and accessible. The Huntington Library and Gardens near Pasadena are great, as is the Broad (modern art) museum in downtown LA. Visit La Brea Tar pits and the museum there to see pre-historic animal displays (mastodons, saber tooth cats, etc.) and eat at Farmer's Market nearby.

From there, you can drive up the California Coast to San Francisco, but if you want to avoid twisty roads, don't take Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) to miss driving up Big Sur (a shame). That road can also be closed by mud slides if there is much rain that winter. Consider taking Hwy 101 and stopping in Santa Barbara. The Mission there is considered the most beautiful of all 21 California missions. San Luis Obispo (SLO) is also a nice town to visit, esp. if you are there for their Thursday Market. Between Santa Barbara and SLO there are a number of great wineries to visit as well. There is another good winery area just north of SLO in the Paso Robles area. Consider stopping in Monterey and Carmel, if if you do, don't miss the Monterey Aquarium, and historic district in downtown Monterey. If you are a Steinbeck fan, the Steinbeck Center in nearby Salinas is a great museum.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Looking at January to March. Stay at hotels, B&B and airbnb, whatever we can find. No to Mexico.

sci-nurse,
    Thanks for your input. Will definitely consider some of these.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    My wife and I are interested in doing a leisurely trip across the south in the winter. We may take a couple months to do this year or next. Anyone have ideas for where to visit is greatly appreciated. I am familiar with Florida but otherwise little else. We are in to historical things and we like to inland fish. Really like national parks also. I drive from my wheelchair so not interested in mountain driving.
    Your post is a bit vague? Traveling across the south? Where to where? What kind of needs do you need for sleeping, are you wanting just to stay in National Parks?

I would start researching parks based on your needs and likes...

I am in Arizona so not sure why someone would give you information about traveling though Az as we are a western state...

https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

Have you thought about doing Amtrak up the coast from Fl, Ga, SC, NC, Va is beautiful in winter you dont have as much of the green and foliage but nice in fall and end of winter/spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    I am in Arizona so not sure why someone would give you information about traveling though Az as we are a western state...
    AZ and Southern California are considered the SOUTHwest, as is NM. Don't know why you find it necessary to slam any post I make.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quartzsite AZ the first 2 weeks in January. Nothing else like it in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    ...I am in Arizona so not sure why someone would give you information about traveling though Az as we are a western state...
    OP asked about traveling across the south. Az borders Mexico. I don't understand the source of your confusion.

They had asked a bought traveling across the south...

Just trying to narrow down some options