Thread: New Freedom Ryder Handcycle came in today, stage 1 model.

New Freedom Ryder Handcycle came in today, stage 1 model.

Now to try and figure out how all the parts sitting on my garage floor go together lol.

Not real crazy about the color, fire engine red. But was not given a choice, the guy at freedom ryder said when I asked him color choices, well you can have red or you can have red, haha. I guess it was one of the last ones they had in stock and I really did not feel like playing the waiting game in having them specially build me one, I understand that can take 4 to 6 months. So I'll live with the red.

Nice bike though, should be interesting getting use to the lean steer system that it uses. The other thing that is going to take some getting use to is no coaster brake like on my top end. hopefully won't end up having a rear end collision with any of my buddies on the bike path when I try and back pedal to stop and the pedals just spin. Going to have to get use to going for the handbrake on the front of the frame.

Crappy components on the Stage 1, but plan on upgrading them eventually anyhow.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Any reason why they don't use a coaster brake?

My bike in the Phils had a separate handbrake and it didn't work too well for me. I was almost killed a few times trying to stop. I think I definitely need a coaster brake on any bike I ride.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Curt why not the stage 2 with the better componets(shimano)

That is why I went with the stage 2 when I bought mine in 99. The shimano lx was the 3rd best in the world at the time, probably about 5th best now. But still glad you made the choice and as you say you can always upgrade.

John

Ps. you are right about the paint job. I had to wait an extra 4 months to get my lava mist color, but the paint job is top quality.

well

John, the reason I did not go with the stage 2 was I had the original intention of uprgrading to Shimano XTR components, just not sure when I'll get around to it, I figure for around $400.00 I can go to the XTR stuff, the Lx would have been $300.00 more, but I kind of like the XTR stuff even better. Like you said thought the LX is pretty good and perfectly adequite. The components that are on the bike now are a joke. I guess they put the stuff thats on there now on bikes that sell for 79 bucks at K mart.

Jeff, there is no way to have a coaster brake with a derailler set up as unlike my Top End bike, this bike uses a 21 speed derailler gear set. If there were a coaster brake in the hub, the derailler would stretch and snap. You can only have coaster brakes with internal hubs. I rode a freinds freedom ryder for a day (about 40 miles) last fall and did ok so hopefully be alright, kind of like the fear of originally driving with hand controls in the worry of trying to go for the leg to stop that does not work though.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Makes sense to me Curt

You must be good with mechanical things. I am all thumbs so I tried to buy the best I could for what I had saved. Even though I like the lx I would love to be able to upgrade to the Xtr shimano gearing. Happy riding.

Ps The lean steering is a BLAST!!!!

Well

Took it for my first ride today. Felt like I was drunk or something was flopping all over the place, still not use to the lean steering. I would not suggest this freedom ryder for anyone who has curvature of the spine or does not sit straight, even when you lean slightly to one side you start turning, so if one was crooked, you would be turning in that direction all the time. Got to make sure you're butt is real well centered on the seat, as even a slight bit off and you will tend to pull to the side you're sitting on.

Nice bike though, definately more skill required for this bike than the Top End though. I am going to be real careful for the next couple weeks as this bike would be real easy to crash, never had a crash yet in five years of riding a handcycle, so don't need to start now. I'll copy this post over to the sports and travel board as anyone interested in getting a handcycle might find this interesting. Curtis

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred